QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  113  114  115  116  117  118  119  120  121  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
Our previous admin roar is still there.

Is he active?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.03.2018, 05:10 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This just landed in my twitter feed:

"Uyuni, Bolivia"

Thought some of you might find this familiar.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

07.03.2018, 02:56 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have a RL photo that is similar.
These tracks seem to be a bit out of alignment tho...

07.04.2018, 02:54 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Something fun, when I went to my orientation they had used the song Change by Yoshida Brothers x Monkey Majik in a slideshow, and now that I think about it I'm pretty sure they used that song before during my first orientation and it moved me so much. I thought I knew the song because of Yuzuru Hanyu but.. lol

Pretty sure I also listened to this song while preparing for my interview too.

It's definitely a little weird knowing it's actually happening. lol I feel like I've had to jump through so, so many hoops to get to this point.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 07.04.2018, 10:37 PM.

07.04.2018, 10:27 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

And we're all glad that you did, FFF...

07.05.2018, 02:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That image of the old loco is artwork and not a photo. No rails will corrode like that since they are solid steel and about 15cm deep and 8 cm wide.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.05.2018, 05:03 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

You are correct is all respects, Saddles. I was looking at it as realism and not art. I have no idea where I found it, but I had a section of track about 20" and spent quite a while cutting it in two. I used it as a hard, solid, non-rebounding surface for setting bearings, etc. and sometimes just as a weight in my shop at work.

07.05.2018, 02:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
Our previous admin roar is still there.

Is he active?

The group is not active as we are active here. I do see posts from him time to time and he also approves new members when I am not around.

@husky

Can you please explain dollar general stores. It seems to have impact on the local stores in small town.

https://youtu.be/N6IqsG-Iiik

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.07.2018, 01:13 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:

@husky

Can you please explain dollar general stores. It seems to have impact on the local stores in small town.

https://youtu.be/N6IqsG-Iiik

Actually, saviour, that little clip pretty much explains it...

Basically, the little 'dollar discount' stores (different names like 'Dollar General' or 'Family Dollar', etc) open small stores that offer a limited supply of items like Bread or canned goods or breakfast cereals but where the big stores have say 15-20 different cereals, the 'Discount' may have 5-10. Bread in a big store, say 6 varities where in the 'Discount' there might be 2 or 3. Also, generally no fresh meats or produce is offered. And the prices MAY be cheaper or it may not. The idea is a 'convenience' of not having to go to the BIG supermarkets. However, it puts the smaller local markets out of business, not just for SOME lower prices, but you only have to drive a few blocks. Also, less overhead, example, fewer employees say 5-10 as opposed to 20-30 in a supermarket.

Another problem is the number of these type of stores. In my city we had two different ones built at the same time within a half a block of each other and they immediately started posting massive advert on our local news page.

As for me, I tried them a couple of times, but do all of my grocery shopping at one of the two big supermarkets in town.

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.07.2018, 06:56 PM.

07.07.2018, 06:52 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually it is very difficult for me to understand as I am used to seeing huge amount of people in a given area. I just see shops starting left and right and most of them succeed. What made me ask you the question is why the shops needs to be big like with that 6 fridge shop shown in the video. Do people tend to buy everything from the same shop. And there is a distance between shops I think. In my country shops are like stalls. You buy things from other shop. You haggle for price etc. Is the demand too low that opening of one of these shops cannibalise every other shop. How is that even possible. This is really confusing, it seems like these towns are very rural village like. But it's a town how is that possible?

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.08.2018, 11:53 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

I gues that you can say that we have indivual shops as well, but they are more than just shops. We may have shoe stores where you can buy sneakers, dress shoes, boots, etc We may have pet stores where you may buy pet products where you may buy feed, leashes, water bowl, pet toys, etc. These are just two examples and these stores are usually a bid shop or store by itself. Then you have supermarkets where people frequently go to for buying different food items, a full range of them, but they also have a small amount of pet items and food; a large display of frozen and fresh meats; Often there is a butcher handy to dress the meat you buy to your specifications; a wide range of fresh produce.

When I was in Saudi Arabia, I went to a Panda store when my family went grocery shopping and they had a similar range of items. I was even able to buy a small cassette recorder to record the voices of my grandkids. In a supermarket in the States, I probably wouldn't have been able to buy a recorder, but books, magazines candy, flowers and they might have a counter where I could purchase a money order to send to someone.

Now a place like Walmarts, they started out as a big department store where you buy household goods (stoves, furniture, clothing, shoes, pet supplies, camping equipment, etc... Now they have included a grocery store within their store. The one in my area has an Eye Doctor/eye glasses shop and also a hair dresser for ladies and a fast food shop (Subway). I went to a Subway in Saudi Arabia even. As for bargaining on the prices, that is never done... Each item usually has a posted price or price tag...

The idea of the big stores is that you can go to one place and find a selection of everything you might need, from hamburger, corn, milk, baby food, shoes, furniture... all in one store. That being said, if you don't want to go to the big store, you can, if you desire, go to one of the little stores, your choice, but it won't be as big a selection of the items that it does carry.

I hope that this helps. It is also true that most Americans have cars to drive to these different shops and stores, again, as they choose to do or not do...

07.08.2018, 06:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Wishing Kazagami a very Happy Birthday... Stay cool, guy!

07.08.2018, 06:36 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks again, Husky! Bah, I wonder if it's too early to start lying about my age... >.>

My Anime List

07.08.2018, 07:52 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

LOL

I figured that I'd go ahead and post it in here so that others would know as well.

I have one thing to say about finishing Kimi Ni Todoke, 2nd Season... and that is

I HATE PIN!!!!!

07.09.2018, 12:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

@arren

Hoping that you are not in the area of Japan being hit by all the rain and landslide damage...

07.09.2018, 02:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, that was the typhoon I mentioned in another thread... But for me, it just caused disruption. I think the majority of more significant problems happened in Hiroshima and Okayama.

Oh, and happy birthday Kaz!

07.09.2018, 04:51 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Happy Yesterday Kaz!

07.09.2018, 07:06 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Damn... Didn't plan on it but I got to playing around with my genealogy up in Canada and over there in England and now here it is 5:30am and I haven't been to bed yet... Another 15 min and I'm gone...lol

I hope, lol

07.20.2018, 08:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As a figure skating fan, I'm very saddened by the senseless murder of Denis Ten. So hard to believe someone would kill him over car mirrors.. I follow so many figure skaters so my feed is constantly posts by them about him.

07.20.2018, 09:43 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Hey, Saddles...

This link was sent to me by a guy I know in Australia and it leads to two others at its end.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FOixDv6JR6U?rel=0

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.28.2018, 11:27 AM.

08.20.2018, 04:11 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  113  114  115  116  117  118  119  120  121  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks