QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Feeling quite good at the moment, as I think I realized another disorder I have. Maybe to some it seems weird, but I've been dealing with problems related to a certain disorder for YEARS so finally realizing it's not strange and that there is actually a reason for why I am the way I am is such a relief. Of course, I still have to see a professional, but it's just a relief that I might know what I have (I'm not sure if I can be diagnosed with more than one thing at the same time, because I think I possibly have three possible disorders, but this one is the most major one I'm thinking of is the most afflicting one).

I'm not sure exactly how people here feel about discussing mental health, but if anyone wants to ever talk about it with me I'd be very willing. Because there is such a high percentage of students at my university with a mental illness, there is also a lot of support from the student body and groups (except one of the admins is terrible and thinks people struggling with mental illness should go home and stay in bed "until they're better". Sadly, she's not the only one). However, my school does not have more than basic counseling services available, something a lot of students have complained about because most of us don't have the large cab fare or money to pay to see a professional in the nearest city.

I'm just happy that there is something I potentially have and that it's not me being crazy. Sorry for ranting about this

07.13.2014, 08:24 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aw FFF, that's great! I have a couple of friends who have suffered through some mental issues and they've always said that it's such a relief when you can finally put a name/disorder to what you've been going through.

07.13.2014, 11:08 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

according to the general questions in many websites i should have about 10 or 12 disorders.

LOL.

i mean no one in my life has ever said anything about me being different.and it is not like i dont have many friends.

basically what i think is most of these disorders are just money making ways for some of these doctors.

it is not entirely my personal opinion.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

07.13.2014, 02:19 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
according to the general questions in many websites i should have about 10 or 12 disorders.

LOL.

i mean no one in my life has ever said anything about me being different.and it is not like i dont have many friends.

basically what i think is most of these disorders are just money making ways for some of these doctors.

it is not entirely my personal opinion.

Well, I possibly have OCD, generalized anxiety and depression (although maybe just OCD).

I do not think though that these are "just money making ways for some of these doctors". ^^'' Pharmaceutical companies, yes. I don't feel I need drugs (although that might change), but my sister and one of my friends does rely on them to get through the day.

No one has ever told me I seem "different" either. But that isn't how I feel. Some people don't show. It's made it very difficult for me to discuss it with my family because I don't show obvious signs (beyond anxiety). But I know something is off. The main reason I believe I have OCD is I have very triggering, peculiar thoughts of being murdered and/or other cruel circumstances at random places. Like, if I'm walking outside, I think someone is going to kill me. I didn't realize that wasn't something everyone thinks all the time (there's other OCD related behaviours I exhibit according to myself and some close friends).

Not attacking you on that, but it's sort of rude to say that disorders are just created for money making purposes. lol ^^' Maybe you didn't mean to come across that way. But nonetheless.. Being able to identify with something and be able to work towards a better future for yourself because you know what you have is pretty important to me.

07.13.2014, 02:46 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Don't let it worry you FFF, Saviour has a particular skill of dropping highly insulting opinions around without considering their effect on many people. Maybe he has a mental disorder too?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.13.2014, 02:55 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have ADHD. It makes me lose my focus easily and it makes me hyper. I've learned to control it, though, so now it is extremely minor.

07.13.2014, 07:36 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saviour, I think if you really did have "about 10 or 12 disorders" you'd probably see how horribly offensive you're being right now. Maybe listen to people's responses and you'll see that sometimes you should just keep your mouth shut.

07.13.2014, 08:11 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well i am sorry i anyone here felt offended by my words specially FFF. what i am trying to say is FFF might not have anything at all. The mental disorders if you make a list of it and then ask all the people in the world about the symptoms of those one by one. I am almost much everyone will get one or two disorders.

@FFF

in my opinion stress anxiety etc are problems. making these things look like mental illness makes people go to doctor for it.

quote:
The main reason I believe I have OCD is I have very triggering, peculiar thoughts of being murdered and/or other cruel circumstances at random places. Like, if I'm walking outside, I think someone is going to kill me. I didn't realize that wasn't something everyone thinks all the time

i have it too, in a different way. in my case i see after images of some dangerous scenarios. such although i am not afraid of heights sometimes i see that i am falling from a hill or something.[there are hills in my uni]

according to some internet questions i should have many mental disorders specially related to mood swing, that my mood changes radically, i feel sad that time bla bla bla. among others i should have ADHD and OCD too.specially ADHD.

what i was trying to say is these disorders[ as a whole] are so much common in people that makes these hardly a illness.

my society and thinking works in a different way than yours so its just i feel that way about most mental illnesses.

however i did not meant to offend you in any way. if you go to doctor and get a hold of these things then i am happy for you.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.14.2014, 01:38 AM.

07.14.2014, 01:32 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saviour, it's good that you understand that others think differently and you're happy for FFF as long as it works for her.

I do understand what you're saying to a degree - lots of people have minor neuroses that if they relied on things like medical websites to diagnose, would probably end up coming up with a whole manner of things. What's the difference is the scale of what people are feeling.

I feel anxious when meeting new people, my heart speeds up and I struggle to think how best to introduce myself sometimes. This eases after a moment or two though. People with actual anxiety issues, that would not ease up for them. At all. They would/could spend the entire time panicking/feeling physically ill and often assuming that they're being hated. A lot of real anxiety issues result in a very very low self-esteem because it can handicap people from behaving 'normally' in social situations. For some people their anxiety means they cannot go out in crowds, or even in the extreme, leave their house very often.

Similarly everybody has 'blue days' where we feel sad for whatever reason. And following a break up people can cry for days and feel heartbroken for ages afterwards. Where depression is different, and this just speaking from my own personal experience with it, is that it isn't even necessarily feeling sad - it's feeling nothing. It's like you don't even have the energy to muster emotion, you're just empty inside. No happiness, no great sadness, nothing. You don't feel like doing anything or being around anybody. There is (often) no obvious reason even for being this way, which makes you feel worse, because you don't know how to talk to or explain that feeling to others. You become disconnected. I use to find myself crying and I wouldn't even know why, and I'd have no reaction to it.

These mental illnesses which lots of people carelessly attribute themselves with, when in fact they're just dealing with far more day-to-day issues, are serious. They are in no way money-making schemes.

I hope that clears things up for you a tad!

07.14.2014, 09:54 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Way to explain, NC!

07.14.2014, 09:56 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Tavern needs a like button. Some posts just deserve a thumbs up.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.14.2014, 10:17 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Great response, NC. Saviour, I think that maybe you're being influenced by the fact that there are all these quizzes and self-diagnosis sites and whatnot, which make genuine disorders seem like something not so serious. But in reality, these are things that medical professionals will diagnose and then seek to help the sufferer to become more stable and ideally get through it. It's not the same thing to take a quiz that somebody without proper understanding has whipped up for fun.

07.14.2014, 11:00 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
Saviour, it's good that you understand that others think differently and you're happy for FFF as long as it works for her.

I do understand what you're saying to a degree - lots of people have minor neuroses that if they relied on things like medical websites to diagnose, would probably end up coming up with a whole manner of things. What's the difference is the scale of what people are feeling.

I agree. in way actually it is how much people feel that particular problem hampering daily-life activities.

quote:

Where depression is different, and this just speaking from my own personal experience with it, is that it isn't even necessarily feeling sad - it's feeling nothing. It's like you don't even have the energy to muster emotion, you're just empty inside. No happiness, no great sadness, nothing. You don't feel like doing anything or being around anybody. There is (often) no obvious reason even for being this way, which makes you feel worse, because you don't know how to talk to or explain that feeling to others. You become disconnected. I use to find myself crying and I wouldn't even know why, and I'd have no reaction to it.

this is related to ADHD in a sense [as i have a lot of symptoms] and i feel this all the time when i dont have a project going on. Truly is a unexplainable feeling. i felt exceptionally bad . But the issue was so simple enough that i just needed a list of todo stuff to do for all the time that way i will always have something to do. I dont see how this can be considered a illness where i can myself find solution.[<--this is a personal opinion] Mental illness is very different than a physical illness
[and with my recent experience working on monoplegia which is related to cerebral palsy which is a disorder of brain, i have recently known in the case of many types of brain disorders[this is lot more real than metal illness] there is not a consensus among doctors as these things works differently person to person.]

there are facts and figures about mental illnesses and some other things i said also there is a very big issue of society. i also know a life story of my former roommate who was taken to mental illness doctor. However i dont want to argue about it. I think its better just to drop this.

quote:

These mental illnesses which lots of people carelessly attribute themselves with, when in fact they're just dealing with far more day-to-day issues, are serious. They are in no way money-making schemes.

I hope that clears things up for you a tad!

yup it helped. specially to calm down the tavern. you have this particular sense of writing.

practically i dont mind going to mental illness doctors as long as it helps

@arren

to your later posts. no that is not that simple

NB: please dont reply here if you want send me a pm.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.14.2014, 03:48 PM.

07.14.2014, 03:47 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh yeah, I should mention I don't know yet if I have these disorders, but my friends have been offering me for months to help me out and go see someone about it. Most are just ideas and not conclusions, from talking to my friends with mental disorders. I've also been told by an academic adviser to see someone because it affects my grades greatly. But the things related to OCD (obsessive thoughts, perfectionism, aversion to certain numbers, etc.) have bothered me for years so it's interesting that there's something that might explain it. The thoughts make it particularly difficult for me to leave the house or go outside at night. I'm hoping to see a professional about it once I have the money to

My boyfriend keeps a daily schedule posted in his bedroom and daily planner to keep himself on track because of his issues (he's been diagnosed with social anxiety and panic attacks, but there's something more to it). I'm trying to get to that level at the moment where I can focus on tasks and things properly. lol Mental health is also a huge concern in my work because my coworkers are social workers.

07.14.2014, 04:17 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
this is related to ADHD in a sense [as i have a lot of symptoms] and i feel this all the time when i dont have a project going on. Truly is a unexplainable feeling. i felt exceptionally bad . But the issue was so simple enough that i just needed a list of todo stuff to do for all the time that way i will always have something to do. I dont see how this can be considered a illness where i can myself find solution.[<--this is a personal opinion] Mental illness is very different than a physical illness
[and with my recent experience working on monoplegia which is related to cerebral palsy which is a disorder of brain, i have recently known in the case of many types of brain disorders[this is lot more real than metal illness] there is not a consensus among doctors as these things works differently person to person.]

I can sense that you want to move on from the topic, and I think that would be best so we don't distract from the main theme of the thread, so I'll just leave you with this link:

Depression Comic

I don't know if you've come across Hyperbole and a Half before, it's a very popular blog with comics! The creator, Ali, got depression about a year ago and in that post she describes the emotions. It's the second part, and I'd really recommend checking out the first too. It's funny, informative and touching. Essentially she explains (better than I ever could) that with real depression there is no 'simple solution', you can't get to the point of making up a to-do list or being productive. Because from the dark hole you're in that seems futile and pointless. Not only that but the sheer energy involved in making yourself achieve even the smallest things seems gigantic.

I can tell you are making a concerted effort to understand the arguments being put out there about this, which is great, so really do check out some of people's personal stories/experiences in the matter. I think you'll find them both very interesting and educational.

I'm glad you guys liked my post, but it was seriously nothing aha. I just tried to explain in as human a way as possible.

07.14.2014, 08:32 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Ahhh, I remember the Hyperbole and a Half posts very well. They're so good because of the way they deal with it in a funny but also very clear way.

07.14.2014, 08:35 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Ahhh, I remember the Hyperbole and a Half posts very well. They're so good because of the way they deal with it in a funny but also very clear way.

Yeah, I love them! I think it comes across that is something she really struggled/struggles with and yet she manages to see as much (albeit dark) humour in it as she can. There's a lot of heart to it.

07.14.2014, 08:36 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I actually like all the comics she does, really. It's a shame that she stopped regular posts, because for one, I enjoy reading them, but also because it suggests she still isn't feeling up to returning to regular updates.

07.14.2014, 08:39 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I actually like all the comics she does, really. It's a shame that she stopped regular posts, because for one, I enjoy reading them, but also because it suggests she still isn't feeling up to returning to regular updates.

Ah no I totally agree, I was a fan for years before her depression came about! Since the Spaghatta Nadle days, my friend.

I think that may be partly because she was working on releasing her book. I mean I don't know for certain, but hopefully she's in a better place with things.

07.14.2014, 08:42 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

We do need a like button.

Hooray! The general discussion's 90,000 post!

07.15.2014, 12:46 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
[  «    ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks