QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - fanservice
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » fanservice » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  fanservicePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well?waddya think?
good, bad, gross, unnecasary?

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

Post last edited by harmony-of-mar on 01.04.2008, 06:21 AM.

01.04.2008, 06:20 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

2,3 and 4.

I'm no fan of redundancy, although eye-candy doesn't hurt. But like candy, too much will just make you sick.

Which is why, people, you should stay away from Aika-R16, or whatever that anime sia called. Panty shots 90% of the time, in the ENITRE episode, EVERY episode. Probably the worst personification of fanservice I have ever seen.

01.04.2008, 11:53 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I cant actually remember having a real discussion on this, but I am sure the general vibe is that it is more unnecessary than anything.

By being a sig artist, what do you think 90% of the pics are of? I downloaded a package of fate/stay night picks off animesuki and it is literally all fanservice and perhaps fanart. Both of which I hate using. Some people I guess enjoy it, but to me it is out of place.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.04.2008, 11:55 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by harmony-of-mar
unnecasary?

Isn't that practically the definition of fanservice?

01.04.2008, 12:15 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that it's unnecessary but not necessarily bad. I haven't really come across it so I guess I can't really judge.

01.04.2008, 01:03 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

if you ever really foray into sig making, you will come across a lot of it. Ive gotten to the point that i just block it out while i'm browsing pictures.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.04.2008, 01:05 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To be honest, I'm put off by most of it.

I mean, when I see some, there's often no need for it and it just leaves me thinking why? Also a reason why I steer some of my friends away from anime. (not all obviously)

01.04.2008, 01:35 PM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The interesting thing is that some newer anime series are now poking fun at themselves and the anime community by using things very similar to fanservice in their storylines, and thus by definition, because it serves to further the story it's no longer fanservice. As Theowne correctly says, fanservice is unnecessary to the story; it's pure tittilation, designed to sell more DVDs or get more viewers in front of the TV. I don't watch much anime aimed specifically at females but I would guess that there is less fanservice in such material than in anime aimed at a male audience.

One show which stuck me as neatly done recently was Haruhi which appears on first sight to have fanservice in it, but it doesn't. You only find out it isn't as the story unfolds because of the character involved and why she does the things she does.

That anime studios are doing this appeals to my sense of humour.

However true fanservice I dislike a lot and some shows like Shuffle it completely ruins. I was even annoyed the first time I watched "Perfect Blue" but after a few rewatches began to see the sense of it's use in that movie. I still find that movie fanservice-y although there is some point to it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.04.2008, 04:23 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i think fanservice is ok so long as you dont go overboard.
i mean, the characters have to be good looking even slightly,sounds shallow but is true.
and sometimes fanservice is funny.
as for overboard,full on nudity,sex scenes, non stop panties shots are just gross, only only weirdos would wanna watch the r rated stuff and not throw up.

01.04.2008, 06:38 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It generally doesn't bother me much, as I'm happy to just avoid it. Sometimes I find it funny just because it's so blatant and pathetic. But usually it puts me off, because when it comes to drawings, I'm really not into that kind of thing. If there's too much, it totally puts me off, though I sometimes get curious anyway, because often it's so ridiculous that it's hard not to laugh. And what I really don't like is fanart which involves fanservice relating to characters from anime which wasn't originally like that.

On the other hand, if it is there intentionally for humour, I don't mind it at all. Although even then there's a limit.

01.04.2008, 06:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Definition of fanservice, eh?

For a real good example, look up Bleach, and search for Orihime and Tsukamoto. Shouldn't be too hard to understand.

That said, fanservice is REALLY unnecessary. In fact, you would almost NEVER find an anime filled with fanservice anywhere on any top anime lists.

Hell, I can name at least 5 titles fanservice-free, ten if I'm in a good mood. Even the current School Rumble I'm watching barely has any, with the most obvious being jabs at D-cup school girls, nothing more.

Although... some people tend to go so far as to say that pretty girls themselves are a form of fanservice as well.

A small list of those with zero or almost zero FS:

Bokurano
Aria
Mushishi
Paranoia Agent
XXXholic
Evangelion
Azumanga Daioh
Darker than Black
Twelve Kingdoms
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Devil May Cry

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.05.2008, 02:25 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

More FS free anime:

Cowboy Bebop (not zero but close)
Saikano
Lain
Kare Kano (totally clear of it, despite skirts as short as wide belts)
Haibane Renmei
Honey & Clover
Beck
Boogiepop Phantom
Full Moon

Hm, in fact I think *most* anime is free of it, it's just some studios or authors are 'corrupted' by it and see a need for it.

01.05.2008, 05:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

most ghibli films lack it...
at least all the ones ive seen.

01.05.2008, 05:34 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

All Ghibli's lack it 100%, it's one of their trademarks.

Even Kiki's bloomers isn't fanservice because of the way they are drawn. Nor is Shiho's bra, nor Fio stripping off to dive in the sea, you can see that from the way the scenes are structured. Ashitaka getting his shirt off to work the bellows isn't - that's just what a guy would do in such a situation and the reaction of the girls is part of their storyline.

School life features in a number of Ghiblis but there are no racy PE kit scenes or pool/beach scenes other than a very brief long-distance shot in Ocean Waves.

No, Ghibli are on very safe ground over their decisions about FS.

01.05.2008, 05:48 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
harmony-of-mar
Baron

one of the reasons why ghibli rocks so much;
they dont need to add fs to make their movies better.

Post last edited by harmony-of-mar on 01.05.2008, 05:50 AM.

01.05.2008, 05:50 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Fanservice doesn't make anime better. It makes it worse, or makes it appeal to the sort of person I prefer not to socialize with.

But I get your point.

Although as someone said above, sometimes it IS funny. There is one scene in Shuffle where a girl is running downstairs and runs into a guy in the corridor, they fall over, he's flat on his back, she's on top of him facing his feet with her bum right in his face (as usual its a ridiculously short skirt) and instead of jumping up and being embarrassed they carry on this stupid conversation for about 3 or 4 minutes about why he's looking at her and he shouldn't and "I can't help it!" he says and to pay him back she threatens to look at him and begins to unzip him when some other school mates arrive and ask them what on earth they are doing to which the girl replies "Uh, playing doctors?"

So, rarely, very rarely, it's funny.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.05.2008, 05:57 AM.

01.05.2008, 05:52 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
harmony-of-mar
Baron

the boys over flowers series has fanservice. its hilarious!

01.05.2008, 06:03 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Although... some people tend to go so far as to say that pretty girls themselves are a form of fanservice as well.

You could argue that a lot of things are fanservice really. I quite like when anime pokes fun at the idea of it. And though I wouldn't agree with the people in your example, I'd say that characters with, let's say, exaggerated anatomy can be considered as fanservice.

I'l edit to add more later.

01.05.2008, 07:43 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yep, exaggerated anatomy really annoys me, it looks ridiculous and detracts from the character. Some exaggeration is fine, and in fact is pretty much normal in anime, too much is silly.

01.05.2008, 07:52 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Saikano has quite a bit of fanservice, actually. Quite a bit of stuff going on doesn't have anything to do with the story, is totally irrelevant and actually drags down the series. Full Moon has fanservice in the form of mahou shoujo transformation (yes, it's considered as a form of FS as well for some), although I agree it's not much. Then again, it's a kiddy series, so meh.

That said, I agree that ANY form of extreme physical exaggeration *cough*boobs*cough* is a form of fanservice. I mean, how many 15-yr-old girls do you know has a bra size of D and above? Hell, even a C-cup is uncommon enough (although I've seen my fair share in real life, woohoo ).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.05.2008, 09:46 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks