QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  675  676  677  678  679  680  681  682  683  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As to your LL's, when it rains it pours, or is that FLOODS???

I know that I can't help in any other way but to wish you the best of luck in overcoming your troubles... ie: fish, floods... How big is your rowboat?

As for your Nan (Grandmother?), feel blessed in one way, You have at least some time to make some more beautiful memories with her before she goes... Cherish your times together... DON"T dwell on the sad times AND if she gets better, then beautiful!!!

The times when my Mother and before that, my Grandmother passed, the first I heard of anything amiss was a phonecall that they were gone. I was at work both times... when told my Granma, one Aunt and her husband all died when their car was broadsided in the snow... And then the sudden passing of my Mom, I knew that she was 78, but she was still driving herself around in Los Angeles traffic, then found in her apt, gone... All I had time for was to grieve... I do feel blessed with my many memories of them all, including other members of my family that have now passed... I feel your pain, having to deal with this at this time in your life. Things are coming together for you in your professional life and now this... But, you are a strong person, you have shown that through the years...

Spend time with your Nan, when possible, and as I said, don't dwell on the sad part of the situation, because we will all go at some time, it is inevitable... We may not like it and feel that it is unfair, but there it is... A thought just popped into my mind (such as it is ) If your Nan is up to it (I don't know her condition) do something silly with her, something that you can both laugh about... get a clown nose and wear it when you go to see he, cover your nose and tell her that you bumped into the door, then move your hand away...
lol (This is just a simple example of what I mean by something silly).

Take care and my Best to you and your Family... Husky

12.05.2020, 02:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds tough, Kaz. Sorry to hear you have so many problems all coming up at once. I hope you'll be doing better soon!

12.05.2020, 03:51 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you, both of you. We'll all do our best to make sure the time she has left is as happy as it can be. My sister lives nearby her, so she'll be able to see her and the great-grandkids often, at least. The rest of us will do what we can.

My Anime List

12.05.2020, 09:55 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thumbs Up, all the way!!!

==============================

how funny, not as 'funny', but 'funny, funny'...

The day after the original post "Thumbs Up, all the way!!!", I was in Discord and decided to put in my own Avatar and went looking for Sumomo (from Chobits) images... Almost the first image I saw, I liked so I downloaded it and posted it to My Discord profile...

I then thought, hey, this image is nice and sharp and clear, I'll go ahead and change the slightly blurred image that I've had up for years, and so I went to my Tavern profile and did just that... Then I went looking for a post to see if the new Sumomo made it through all right... And it had...

THEN.... THEN... I noticed which post I was on... And there was my 'thumbs' post... freaky...
===================================

I swear to you, I did not plan this...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.07.2020, 04:34 PM.

12.06.2020, 03:21 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

H/L:
Two days ago, while I was seated in my SUV at the park, reading... one of the men (whose family lives next to the park and that I am slightly acquainted with ) came by and told me that I had a flat tire (tyre ) at the right rear. I got out and looked and sure enough, it was almost totally flat... I looked for the small airpump that I usually carry around as part of my emergency road gear and couldn't find it!

I determined that there was just enough pressure to get me home (3 blocks away_) , backed into my driveway and got my larger air pump out of the garage and slightly over inflated the tire. I them drove about a mile to a tire shop that was open on Sundays and got in just before closing and had it repaired...

I had seen the small screw that was in the tire when I was inflating it at home.

I am glad that I was told about it in time to be able to do something about it. I don't want to insult the guy who told me by offering a $20 bill, so I am going to a local hamburger shop, Baker's, that is generally well liked and getting some gift books and giving those, instead... At the very least, he saved me the cost of a new tire and if I had gotten onto the freeway without noticing (note: as I was driving home, knowing that it was flat, I couldn't tell that it was by the feel of the vehicle) possibly my life... There is a major, known world-wide,
discount shopping center nearby and a LOT of traffic traveling 70-80+ MPH and small shoulders due to construction.

I say that the Center is known world-wide, because tour buses travel there with loads of tourists, many of whom are Chinese and Japanese. This I know from having worked security there in the past. Even with the Pandemic, it seems that there is still a great deal of traffic that is apparently going there to shop... I have in the past, but wasn't personally interested enough in the discunted 'name-brand' items to want to deal with the traffic and crowding during normal times...

12.08.2020, 01:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: My sister bought me a lovely pair of mom jeans from Hot Topic that are Kiki's Delivery Service themed. So glad they're just the right size and the exact style of mom jeans that I like. haha It's so hard finding larger sized pants in Japan in that style.

Found a Nausicaa record from the 1980s with its obi still attached! I started collecting records which is definitely an expensive hobby but got lucky this one was on sale. haha

12.27.2020, 10:12 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

FFF!!!It's WONDERFUL to see you...

How have you been? Staying SAFE I hope... I wasn't sure what you meant by mom jeans at first. I thought you had gone and gotten hitched or in a relationship with a possible result, it had been so long since we last heard from you...

But then I read on and figured it out... Smack me over the head with a mallet!!! Lightly, tho, please... Not as much hair to cushion the blow, lol...

Brought me back to the one clothing thing that I remember from the time I and my family were over there in Japan in '66-67'. Being used to bra sizes in the US, her ego got a great boost when she found out that she wore a '99' !!! lol The ladies in here would understand that better than us guys, lol... Anyway, don't be such a stranger...

Stay healthy and above all, BE SAFE!
Hoping your Christmas was enjoyable...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.28.2020, 01:48 PM.

12.28.2020, 01:39 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nah, I've been very single for almost five years now. lol

I haven't been up to a whole lot besides that I live in an old house now alone.

01.02.2021, 02:25 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
Nah, I've been very single for almost five years now. lol

I haven't been up to a whole lot besides that I live in an old house now alone.

P/m

01.02.2021, 05:09 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

XL/L- Trump protesters break inside of the Capitol during confirmation meeting of Biden as the elected President, much to Trumps displeasure... Trump is upset at Biden's upcoming confirmation and not at the raging mob pf protesters who broke into a number of offices and in some cases, papers in or on the desks were taken...

==========================================

XH/L- Biden and Harris are CONFIRMED as the next President and Vice-President of the United States of America, to be inaugurated on January 20, 2021..............

==========================================

L/L- Meanwhile, Trump still claims that his "Overwhelming victory was stolen"...

01.07.2021, 05:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Same highs and lows as you, husky. What happened was a disgrace, but sadly the inevitable conclusion of the past few years. I just hope that the new administration will be able to repair some of the damage and restore public faith in democracy.

01.07.2021, 06:49 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

H/L-
All things considered, I am not ill and I am totally enjoying our current weather which is sunny and bright, allowing me to leave my home and drive to the local park and sit and read, albeit in my vehicle...

It gets me out of my house without comming into contact with others, but I can sit and read and be in an area of trees and grass and see life going on about me...

01.13.2021, 01:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Highlight: Trump is OUT. What more do I need to say?

01.20.2021, 04:38 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Highlight: Trump is OUT. What more do I need to say?

Nothing more need be said...

L/L: Unfortunately, thi good news came with a furtherance of Bad news...

A repeat of my two sons and one dau-in-law and some more longtime friends being quite expressive in Facebook about their dislike and even HATRED towards the new President and Vice-President... I have two choices here... Either I dis-own them and expect to never have any contact with those Grand-children involved ever again...

OR

Suck it up and just let them spew their feelings as they will and ignore them for the benefit of me having access to my Grand-Kiddies... (Which is the course that I will take...) My kids know how I feel, but see no need to temper their remarks, while slamming me if I profess mine...

Did I mention that I LOVE my Grandkids? And my Kids?

Still... sigh... Life goes on...

01.20.2021, 07:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Maybe you should argue with them about it? It's a sign that you care what they think. If they take issue with you disagreeing with their terrible views, that's their problem.

01.21.2021, 04:44 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky can you explain how people from somewhat humble/poor/middle class family like republican party? it completely boggles my mind. Rich people like republican party i understand that but why the non-rich people like republican party is completely out of my mind.

I have only one clue these people are susceptible to propaganda; thus us vs them thing affects them greatly. I dont really believe a really intelligent person can actually like republican party(except rich people ofcourse who need tax cuts)

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.21.2021, 12:10 PM.

01.21.2021, 12:09 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

All I can say, saviour, is that I have been a registered Republican most of my adult life, but never felt that I HAD to follow along the Party line when it came time to vote. Right or wrong (in other people's minds) I went my own way. in retrospect, sometimes I chose well and other times, I didn't. I've never been anywhere near 'rich' or even 'well off', I struggled and often worked two jobs to provide for my family.

But, that being said, I have few regrets in my life... How I explain why 'un-rich' (so to speak) people follow the Republican party, I do not know, I can't even explain why I did all these years. I made my choices, regardless of Party-lines, to the best of my ability and understanding of the issues at hand... How, or in what direction, I will go in the future I haven't decided at this point in time...

I wish that I could give a better answer to your question, saviour, but I have never been good at explaining things like this very well, or in a manner that I, in the end, am satisfied with...

01.21.2021, 12:52 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
All I can say, saviour, is that I have been a registered Republican most of my adult life, but never felt that I HAD to follow along the Party line when it came time to vote. Right or wrong (in other people's minds) I went my own way. in retrospect, sometimes I chose well and other times, I didn't. I've never been anywhere near 'rich' or even 'well off', I struggled and often worked two jobs to provide for my family.

But, that being said, I have few regrets in my life... How I explain why 'un-rich' (so to speak) people follow the Republican party, I do not know, I can't even explain why I did all these years. I made my choices, regardless of Party-lines, to the best of my ability and understanding of the issues at hand... How, or in what direction, I will go in the future I haven't decided at this point in time...

I wish that I could give a better answer to your question, saviour, but I have never been good at explaining things like this very well, or in a manner that I, in the end, am satisfied with...

I have another question do you think republican policies and actions had some positive effects in your lifetime ? not really specific more like generally.

For example healthcare which is ludicrous in US if needed to give out of pocket this is something republican party greatly dislike. Overall empathy for the people is kinda lacking i think where the US has some responsibility to take care of its citizen. I see all the tax money going to military and general public not having any benefit.

However one thing i would like to clarify is from Party Policy perspective i actually like Republican Party more than Democratic as the model is generally a hands off approach. Democratic party's approach is more hands on in some cases to the point where it borderlines with Communism which is extremely dangerous.

However republican party in action is just disgusting and that can be said at least from the nixon era. With the exception of Ronald Reagan who although extremely conservative actually put america first rather than Fox News bullshit.

The reason i wanted to ask you is in my country most people are apolitical. Thats why it was so easy for the current Prime Minister to win the election and then put the whole democratic process in the freezer.

However in US that is not the case. And thats why the motivation behind the so called 'non-rich' people's support for Republican Party does not make sense to me. I dont understand what they get out of it.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

01.21.2021, 02:50 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
Democratic party's approach is more hands on in some cases to the point where it borderlines with Communism which is extremely dangerous.

Sounds like you'd have a very frightening experience just about anywhere in Europe...

Anyway, if you don't mind me jumping in, I think from the perspective of somebody like husky it makes sense. The US political parties have moved into their current ideological positions gradually over time. If you started supporting one party a long time ago, when both parties' policies were pretty similar, you might stick with them until things change dramatically - like they have recently.

When it comes to targeting new voters who don't seem to benefit from modern Republican policies, I'd say something the party does well is making themselves sound reasonable and in line with voters' values, while creating the image of the Democrats as radical and irresponsible (and from your perception of the Democrats, it looks as if that's been very effective).

01.21.2021, 03:18 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

What you said Arren makes sense.

However regarding policies Democratic policies are definitely quite radical.

However their execution is much better as well as they are infact a more humane party right now.

Authoratative govt is extremely bad. And this is a threat that all the democratic system faces. But as you said in Europe and infact all over the first world nations there is a leftist movement which is not something one should shrug off. You can only realize the issue after your freedom has been stolen. This is true for a huge number of Asian and South American countries. If you don't see the problem with more authoratative govt then you don't understand freedom.

The most contagious point being
1. Equality of outcome
2. High taxation on Rich people or Taxation on excess profit
3. Diversity/Inclusion programs

The style should be completely opposite
1. Equality of opportunity
2. Strict competition law/ Strict monopoly law/ Strict oversight
3. No discrimination based on Race/Color/Religion

As these 3 are much more difficult thus Democratic Party always proposes top 3 which is a authoratative style of achieving something. If you don't believe me read the latest few important bills they wanted to pass.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.21.2021, 04:07 PM.

01.21.2021, 03:58 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  «    ...  675  676  677  678  679  680  681  682  683  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks