QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  667  668  669  670  671  672  673  674  675  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't really understand this idea that the opposite of clear genetic programming is "choice". There are plenty of things about our personalities that we don't have control over, even if there isn't a particular gene making it happen.

Also, I'd say it's pretty naive to suggest that the idea of "choice" is somehow helpful by letting people decide for themselves whether to be gay or not. After all, a lot of the people who view it as a matter of choice are religious fundamentalists seeking to force people to be heterosexual by any means necessary. It gives legitimacy to those people when somebody suggests that a person can simply stop being gay.

08.31.2019, 08:05 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: just finished the 15,000-word translation project I've been working on since June. It's DONE. Going to submit it tomorrow, and then I can graduate with my master's degree!

LL: pretty annoyed with one of my best friends. I asked him to help me proofread this thing the other night (we often look over each other's work) and he was just incredibly childish and disrespectful about it. Thankfully there was someone else I could ask, because I wasn't showing it to him again.

What makes it more difficult is I don't think he even realises he's done anything wrong. Because I couldn't, or didn't, properly show at the time how I felt.

My Anime List

09.04.2019, 08:50 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fantastic on your project, !!!

Sorry your friend let you down...

09.05.2019, 01:22 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I turned 73 yesterday...

I went to a little Mexican restaurant named 'Consuelos' this morning for breakfast and when I walked up to the order window to order my Chorizo Plate, I was greeted with a nice 'Happy Birthday!' Then when I went to pay for my order, I was told again, 'Happy Birthday!'... They refused my payment!!!

Quite nice of them...

09.09.2019, 01:45 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Belated happy birthday, Husky! Hope you had a good day. ^^

HL: went to a nice little get-together at a friend's house tonight. Plenty of food, a few drinks, games. It was good.

My Anime List

09.09.2019, 08:46 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I had a good day, thank you...

09.10.2019, 01:59 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Happy birthday!

09.10.2019, 05:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Thank you...

09.10.2019, 10:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Highlight: I won the second prize in a Japanese speech contest today!

11.04.2019, 06:13 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Highlight: I won the second prize in a Japanese speech contest today!

Congratulations

11.04.2019, 08:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm late but congratulations, arren! That's a great achievement. What did you speak about?

HL: finally sent away my application for the JET Programme today. Also looking at a paid internship on Awaji Island that looks really cool, definitely going to put in an application there.

LL: it's only two weeks until the JLPT exam. D: I feel unprepared. Just have to keep studying and reading as much as I can.

My Anime List

11.16.2019, 10:11 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Good luck, Kaz, and do your best...

11.16.2019, 10:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
I'm late but congratulations, arren! That's a great achievement. What did you speak about?

HL: finally sent away my application for the JET Programme today. Also looking at a paid internship on Awaji Island that looks really cool, definitely going to put in an application there.

LL: it's only two weeks until the JLPT exam. D: I feel unprepared. Just have to keep studying and reading as much as I can.

Oh yay! Good luck. If you get in and aren't placed in Hokkaido you should come visit! I'm staying at least three years at this job but I might stay the full five.

I'm planning now to stay in Japan after JET.

11.26.2019, 08:29 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I requested Sapporo for one of my choices, so you never know! It would be really nice to meet up.

LL: five days until JLPT aaaaaah

My Anime List

11.26.2019, 09:29 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

HL: Good to see you again, FFF. Come by more often, we miss hearing from you...
==========================================

The lady who was a great help to me back in 2016 when I was in the VA Hospital for 6 months had an operation a couple of weeks ago and she asked if she could spent the night on my recliner to keep her cats from jumping up on her lower abdomen and also to have someone near if she needed help. I said sure, as I felt that it was the least that I could do, y'know... I thought that it would be a day or two and now, 2 weeks later, she has gone home to her own bed... She is a very active woman, but just couldn't deal with her cats...

I am somewhat of a loner and enjoy my alone time and am glad that she is both werll enough to be on her own and that I am by myself again... One morning, I came out of my bedroom, knowing that she was scheduled to be gone by then and she was standing standing at the bathroom sink, just recently out of the shower. So I am glad that I can just be by myself again, lol

She lives across the street from me and we each have a key to the other's house in case of forgetfulness or an emergency. When her sister passed a couple of years ago, she called me early in the morn and was upset because she thought that her ill sister had 'passed'. So I went over and verified it and called the PD and local mortuary and helped her through the day...

Anyway, HL, single batchlorhood is back again...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.26.2019, 04:15 PM.

11.26.2019, 04:07 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

FFF, long time no see! I hope things are going well.

Good luck on the JLPT, Kaz!

11.27.2019, 09:16 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

HL/ML/LL/HL...

LOL

Highlight... Had a nice Turkey dinner with my friend...
Meh-light... Had some pumpkin pie at another restaurant... Not a real good pie, but adequate...
Lowlight... My car had an electrical problem that shut down all power... Started up again and was able to continue taking my friend home... On the way to my house, it quit again... was able to coast into a parking lot... Tow truck arrived and he accidently got the car going again... followed me home. 100 ft from my house again, it quit again... He got it going and found the problem...
Highlight... Got the car home and he preformed a temporary repair... gave him $20 tip(If I had more, I would have given it to him)...

Oh, yeah... It was cold and raining...

But, all things considered, I had a good evening and was thankful that the breakdown happened within town and not far away from home...

11.30.2019, 02:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

???light: the JLPT wasn't great, wasn't terrible. I'm hoping hoping hoping that I've squeaked by with 60% or something. That's what it feels like, I think it'll be really close. Won't know until March though, bah.

HL: got offered the chance to translate some anime and manga-related articles and such today, so that's cool. Isn't going to pay much, apparently, but I'll take it.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 12.03.2019, 09:11 PM.

12.03.2019, 09:11 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

We're all hoping hoping hoping for you, Kaz... good luck and much future work on the translating work...
------------------------------------------

HL:
The repair for my car cost me a whole $22... sigh, outrageous auto repair prices... lol

12.04.2019, 12:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Highlight: on my second attempt, I passed the trial (basically a test) that followed my subtitle translation course! That means I'll get to do some actual work in this field soon. After the first time, I'd kinda set my expectations low, so I'm relieved that I made it!

12.06.2019, 09:57 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  667  668  669  670  671  672  673  674  675  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks