QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions What book(s) are you reading right now? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...    »  ]
Animenewbie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 10.24.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Animenewbie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been reading 2 books in the past week;

Ranger's apprentice - Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan
and
The Infernal City by Greg Keyes

Infernal City seems rather short. But I'm still looking forward to finishing it once I have some time to read.

03.29.2011, 04:26 PM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

reading a collection of Jack London stories... Over 1000 pages long...eeek! And the type is smaller than usual.... hard on the eyes sometimes...

03.30.2011, 11:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin

Weird. But really good as well.

03.31.2011, 04:39 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good choice!

03.31.2011, 05:22 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Still reading the Jack London stories, but giving my eyes a break for now. I can go back to that later, now I'm reading "The Jungle" by Clive Cussler

04.03.2011, 09:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Friend lent me the first book of the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" series, can't wait to read it today

04.03.2011, 01:09 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Rereading and doing enormous amounts of editing on my first novel. Next time I write something, it is totally going to be less than 500 pages on MO.

It's not... horrible. In fact, I like bits and pieces, but my writing style in the later half kind of clash with a bit of the first. But it's not bad. I'm fortunate the lead doesn't appear as angsty as I'd believed (phew), and I've done well on shelling out the other main character. Some parts I dreaded rereading weren't bad at all. ._.; I think it'll actually do well- yeah, right.

XD

I'm just happy to have done this. :3 So editing it and hopefully having it picked up mean a lot to me..

04.04.2011, 08:32 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
supertrf
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I'm sorry that I don't know how to translate my reading works into English.
And also I'm a guy who dedicated in Light Novel and I can't have it no read everyday.
Em,every one in the world who can live without Light Novel today???!!!

Haaha

I only know the names of the books in Chinese(the language I read) and Japanese(for it is language for the original)...

So how can I communicate with you?
Please help me?
Should I use wikipedia?

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!
I love Chinese culture, Japanese culture and USA culture!
And I think animation is my best enjoyment in which Miyazaki Hayao's movie is the best!

04.04.2011, 09:33 PM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
supertrf
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by supertrf Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well , BTW, my recently read list is following(in Japanese and I try to translate it):
1、IS〈インフィニット・ストラトス〉
Infinite Stratos
2、お兄ちゃんだけど愛さえあれば関係ないよねっ
Even he is my brother I love him so there's no problem, isn't it?
3、この中に1人、妹がいる!
One of them is my younger sister...
4、ROOM NO.1301
5、碧陽学園生徒会議事録/生徒会の一存
The note of student union...?
6、涼宮ハルヒ (!!!!!!!!!!!)
Suzumiya Haruhi!!!

IF you have read them welcome to talk to me!!!

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!
And I think animation is my best enjoyment in which Miyazaki Hayao's movie is the best!

04.04.2011, 09:55 PM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
husky51
The Old Guy

@ supertrf:
You do seem to know a lot of English words and most of your meaning comes through. As for translating the titles, there are translation sites online that could possible help. Or, as you say, Wikipedia...

Good luck.

04.04.2011, 11:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've become very interested in English Tudor history because of this beautiful tv series 'The Tudors' which I am *slightly* addicted to

To feed my interest, I am now reading the English-languaged biography of Mary Tudor (princess/queen Mary I a.k.a. Bloody Mary) by Anna Whitelock.
She researched her life very well.

Mary had a turbulent and difficult life full of struggles. Very interesting to read about her and her path, she killed hundreds of 'heretics' (people who were protestant) at the stake. She had two phantom pregnancies, she was in an unhappy marriage with the king of Spain, Philip and she also rivalled with her brother Edward and sister Elizabeth I. She died at age 42 (I thought so) because of some sort of cancer, unwanted, hated and alone.

04.06.2011, 01:43 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
supertrf
Tanuki

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
@ supertrf:
You do seem to know a lot of English words and most of your meaning comes through. As for translating the titles, there are translation sites online that could possible help. Or, as you say, Wikipedia...

Good luck.

Oh,thanks. I really need to use Wiki.

Sometimes when I read the light novel I may have sth that I can't understand because they're Japanese culture's knowledge or NETA of Japan.
At that time I often think even Chinese culture resembles Japanese but I can't get sth known, anyway, for the US reader or other countries reader how can they make sense of those narrow knowledge???

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!

04.08.2011, 12:25 PM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

About my last post, the Mary biography, I don't think I will finish it. The English is of a very high level, I can't keep up Too difficult

04.09.2011, 04:52 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Takuto
Calcifer

Registration Date: 03.15.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Takuto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finished reading The Bad Beginning (from A Series of Unfortunate Events), such clever writing! What's especially amusing is, at the end, Lemony devotes an entire page to explaining how the fate of the children isn't quite as merry as we all expected, then resumes. Not too crushing, but a bit sad.

04.09.2011, 06:46 PM Takuto is offline   Profile for Takuto Add Takuto to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A Fraction of the Whole which is absolutely hilarious.

04.10.2011, 12:28 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
supertrf
Tanuki

quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki
A Fraction of the Whole which is absolutely hilarious.

What's this? Is that light novel?

同光!
俺は宮崎駿監督のアニメーション映画が大好き!
スタジオジブリの映画が一番!
えど、アニメとライトノベルはお宅の精神食品が!
日本の文化は最高だ!

04.10.2011, 01:02 AM supertrf is offline   Profile for supertrf Add supertrf to your buddy list Send an Email to supertrf Homepage of supertrf
husky51
The Old Guy

I imagine that it is, supertrf...

me...
"One of Our Thursdays is Missing" by Jaspar FForde (that IS correct, 2 F's)

obviously a mystery...

04.11.2011, 09:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart. Seriously the best Merlin fiction out there. I love it to pieces!

04.11.2011, 10:19 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@supertrf
It's... sort of light. It's about 500 pages though.

Mostly it's a comedy, but then it has moments where it isn't as much. But those moments are still really really good.

@fen
Is it really that good? I have the whole series because my grandma gave them to me for my twelfth birthday. I started them then and decided they were lame. But seeing as I'm not twelve anymore, I may have to try them out. XD

04.12.2011, 02:11 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Lol it's not something I'd give to a twelve year old, but yes, it's really good. ^^ Mind you, you have to like that genre to get into it at all.

04.12.2011, 06:17 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
[  «    ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks