QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...    »  ]
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The book of Natascha Kampusch; 3092 days?? In English?? In dutch: 'de Diefstal van mijn jeugd'.

So heavy but so interesting to read her dark experiences, I feel so sorry for her but I admire her for her enduring strength and longing for a ''normal life''. Poor girl, but it is interesting to read..She actually had a nice writing style, very simple and normal, I like that, it gives you the feeling she is still! a normal girl or at least wants to be..

02.04.2011, 07:54 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Hollywood Hills" by Joseph Wambaugh

02.05.2011, 01:14 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Is that his real name??? It's awesome, HE'S awesome. And he's Canadian.

02.05.2011, 01:52 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Britsh steam engines the ultimate guide to the greatest steam engines by O.S. Nock

02.05.2011, 08:31 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Read "Bad Blood" by John Sandford...

After starting it, I remembered reading it before.... but continued it anyway...
===================================
Started and finished "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson today...

A good book that I haven't read for a few decades....
When I read Long John Silver's lines, I always hear them in my mind in the voice of actor Wallace Beery, who palyed Silver in the early movie...

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.07.2011, 11:48 PM.

02.07.2011, 01:43 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kemi
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.25.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kemi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've finished the book by Natascha Kampusch - 3096 days

Now started reading Misha by Misha Defonseca,
a almost true story about a little girl who is living in the WOII and Jewish. The Gestapo take away her parents to Auschwitz while she stays with another family who are taking care of her.

Eventually she escapes and decides to find her parents back, she makes a journey of 4000 km in 4 years across several countries in Europe, on her own. After hunger and coldness she is closer to death than alive, but then the wolves in the forests find her and raise her. She becomes almost one of them and doesn't know how to stay alive in the human world after returning to peaceful Germany.

Her journey ends at her hometown but she never finds her parents back :-( I saw the movie which is called Survivre Avec Les Loups and I recommend it to all of you who are interested in drama stories which are based on true events. (though not entirely true because she doesn't remember everything from her long and incredible journey)

02.08.2011, 03:24 PM Kemi is offline   Profile for Kemi Add Kemi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just finished reading The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. Succccch a beautiful book. I am going to read Barry's other books now.

Now that I've finished that, I'm reading Under Fishbone Clouds and I can't for the life of me remember the author's name. I think that it is probably a good book, but seeing as I'm sick, everything feels mediocre to me.

02.09.2011, 04:00 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Read two J.A.Jance books ...

Long Time Gone
and
Payment in Kind

have decided to read a lot of my Louis L'Amour books... I have over a hundred of them...

02.10.2011, 01:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
maggie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.25.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Kiki's Delivery Service" by Eiko Kadano

I noticed it while browsing my public library a few days ago and thought that I should give it a read since I love the movie so much.
I'm kinda surprised by how short of a book it is.

02.12.2011, 06:06 PM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Read "Galloway' and "The Lonely Men" by Louis L'Amour

If you like realistic western or historical type novels, this is a great auther IMO...

If he has a spring in the desert in his story, that spring IS there in reallife. He sometimes includes historical people in his novels because he has evidence that person was in the vicinity at the timeline of his story.

I am an avid L'Amour fan....

currently reading "Mustang Man" by the same author...

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.12.2011, 07:11 PM.

02.12.2011, 06:59 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
hopexx5
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When i go to bed in a while i'll proubly end up reading Tracks on canvas by philip d hawkings.

02.12.2011, 07:04 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
maggie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.25.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by maggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"The Book of Heroes" by Miyuki Miyabe

I'm really excited for the English translation of Miyabe's Ico novelization coming out later this year, so I'm reading this book to see what her writing style is like. So far I'm finding it very interesting

Post last edited by maggie on 02.14.2011, 02:03 PM.

02.14.2011, 02:03 PM maggie is offline   Profile for maggie Add maggie to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I was reading "The Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vommegut, Jr, but I had to put it down after reading about 2/3rds of the book..
Vonnegut has written some good stuff, but IMO this isn't one of them... It is very, very unusual for me to stop reading a book midway (even a bad one), but I just could not force myself to continue...

I'll go clear my palate (mind) with some nice L'Amour...

02.17.2011, 11:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haven't started it yet, but this week I'll need to read Doctor Faustus so I can lead a discussion on it. I'm rather looking forward to it. I also need to read Utopia and more books of Paradise Lost for my essay...

02.17.2011, 12:54 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just finished Howard's End by E.M. Forster and now I'm reading Enduring Love by Ian McEwan.

02.17.2011, 03:30 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

"Dead or Alive" by Tom Clancy

(in between reading some manga I checked out from the library...)

02.17.2011, 08:58 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
reecetard
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.02.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by reecetard Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading cell by Stephen king, it's about mobile phones that turn u into zombies. I'm on a Stephen king roll at the moment! X

~ No matter how many weapons you may have ~
~ No matter how great your technology may be ~
~ The world cannot live without love ~

02.18.2011, 04:53 AM reecetard is offline   Profile for reecetard Add reecetard to your buddy list Homepage of reecetard
Animenewbie
Calcifer

Registration Date: 10.24.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Animenewbie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My mom gives me 10 euros for every book i read in the next 2 months, so I started reading Artemis Fowl series, read the third yesterday and starting on the 4th soon

02.18.2011, 11:06 AM Animenewbie is offline   Profile for Animenewbie Add Animenewbie to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Railway modeller volume 62 febuary 2011

02.18.2011, 11:50 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Night Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton.

I haven't read a good science fiction book in so, so long. So exciting!

02.19.2011, 05:45 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
[  «    ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks