QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just finished reading the Louis L'Amour book "The Proving Trail"...

08.27.2018, 04:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Reading Interview with the Vampire for the third time. I'd forgotten just how much Louis disliked Lestat.

My Anime List

08.28.2018, 06:56 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've finished two non-fictions, which I don't usually read. "The San Bernardino's" and "The San Jacinto's" about a the human history of a pair of mountain ranges in Southern California forming a Pass that was one of the best East/West traverses between the coast and the rest of the Southwestern United States.

Also read two Louis L'Amour books... "Where the Long Grass Grows" and "Hanging Woman Creek".

Starting on a book that I haven't read for 20 or 30 years. An Ed McBain novel about the fictitious 87th Precinct of New York titled "The Last Dance". McBain also writes another series of books under another name, Evan Hunter, and was also the author of the book "Blackboard Jungle" which was made into a hit movie.
He also wrote the screenplay for "The Birds"...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.23.2018, 04:50 AM.

09.23.2018, 04:40 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Re-read "Acrna's World" by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough and another of my Louis L'Amour westerns, "The Rider of Lost Creek"...

Starting on the "Fruits Basket" manga again...

10.10.2018, 01:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

"Unfit for Command" John E. O'Neill and Jerome R. Corse.
Swift Boat Veterans speak out against John Kerry. Part of which was the awarding of three unearned Purple Hearts permitting him to leave Vietnam after only 4 months of his year long assignment.

"Lonigan" a book of short stories by Louis L'Amour...

When I done with this one, I'll be starting on "Spies and Commandos" by Kenneth Conboy and Dale Andrade.

How America lost the secret war in North Vietnam.cccCC

02.21.2019, 07:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Still reading 'Spies and Commandos' off and on...

Finished 'Second Watch' today... A J.P. Beaumont Novel, A Seattle Police officer. A portion near the end brought none stop tears to my eyes about a Vietnam Veteran's death...

03.19.2019, 02:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Reading "Longshot" by English horse racing mystery author, Dick Francis.

04.21.2019, 04:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Got a book from a bookrack this afternoon and just now finished it.

"10-lb Penalty" by Dick Francis, a prolific writer of British horse racing mysteries... I enjoyed every word of it...

07.02.2019, 05:58 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Reading "Code Talker" by Chester Nez, a memoir by one of the original Navajo code talkers of WWII... Quite an interesting read... It starts with his early childhood on the Navajo Reservation, which covers parts of Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, bordering Colorado. Some of his trials while attending (forcibly) boarding school, but where he learned his English. It goes on with his enlistment in the US Marines and the forming of the original 29 'code talkers' and his service during the Guadacanal fighting in the South Pacific. This is as far as I have gotten in the book at this time, but I am enjoying it... One of the few non-fiction books that I have read recently...

07.12.2019, 09:58 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So many children's books. Dr Seuss is pretty amazing and crazy. I wonder what he was like personally because his books are such a ride.

08.13.2019, 03:15 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Did you ever use a Flit insect spray? He wrote and drew many Flit advertisements... I believe that this was before his books, but the characters looked the same style...

08.13.2019, 06:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I a reading a book by Arthur C. Clarke, "The Lost Worlds of 2001", telling about the making of '2001: A Space Odyssy' and working with Stanley Kubrick and others with parts of his novel, which was written at the same time as the movie was being made with back-and-forth script and novel changes...

Then I received the 14th edition of "Yotsuba" in the mail and immediately stopped work that I was doing and started reading the manga. I live this series as it reminds me of the raising of my own daughter, albeit with differences...

08.16.2019, 04:02 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

This month alone (so far)... I have read five books by Louis L'Amour...

Borden Chantry
The High Graders
Westward the Tide
Chancy
and
The Quick and the Dead...

09.09.2019, 01:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Read "Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern" by Anne McCaffrey this last week and started and finished "Californio's" by Louis L'Amour today...

09.29.2019, 08:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

"Sea Stories -my life in special operations" by Admiral William H. McRaven... Stories of a US Navy Seal...

10.04.2019, 11:46 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Dang, it almost seems like I'm the only one posting in this thread...lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished the fifth Louis L'Amour novel in the last aix days...

"The Burning Hills"
" Mustang Man"
"Galloway"
"The Warrior's Path"
"Brionne"

He writes a spellbinding novel and is an easy read...

01.16.2020, 02:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have actually been reading a bit more lately, just not much in English. Right now I'm on the seventh Haruhi Suzumiya novel.

01.16.2020, 04:18 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
schizboot
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.14.19
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by schizboot Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've just started reading (well, it's an audiobook, so listening to) The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. It seems like everyone at all interested in scifi has already read it, so I'm a bit late to the party. It's great so far -- grounded in hard science (there was clearly a lot of research into math, engineering, and astrophysics put into the writing of this book) and still very mysterious.

01.16.2020, 06:01 AM schizboot is offline   Profile for schizboot Add schizboot to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I have actually been reading a bit more lately, just not much in English. Right now I'm on the seventh Haruhi Suzumiya novel.

Had you read the story before in English? If so, are you finding much difference between the English and the Japanese versions???

01.16.2020, 12:58 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by schizboot
I've just started reading (well, it's an audiobook, so listening to) The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. It seems like everyone at all interested in scifi has already read it, so I'm a bit late to the party. It's great so far -- grounded in hard science (there was clearly a lot of research into math, engineering, and astrophysics put into the writing of this book) and still very mysterious.

I will have to check it out... Hoping a Great New Year for you... I realize that things change over the years, but I wish that I was able to retgurn to the Japan that I knew back in 1966-67... when I was homeported in Yokosuka... I would catch a train and ride until I was somewhere that I had never been before and spent a lot of time talking, with my limited Japanese, to people on the Train's, Cafe's and Bar's and even met one young man (a whole year younger than me, lol) who became friends with me and his family invited my family (my step-dad was on my same ship and the whole family was there) to spend the weekend at their rice farm just outside of Tokyo...

It was an interesting weekend... AND I MISS IT ALL!!!

01.16.2020, 01:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks