QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  ...    »  ]
night_bird
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.03.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by night_bird Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51

I liked the "Star Wars" one, and "The Cowboys" and "47 Ronin" and all were entertaining, but I didn't much care for "The Dark Knight Rises". Didn't care for all the pointless (IMO) violence...

I never watched any "Star Wars", not a single part. I can perceive cosmic battles with luminous swords in the hands only in the form of parodies and memes)

Post last edited by night_bird on 04.09.2018, 11:15 PM.

04.09.2018, 11:14 PM night_bird is offline   Profile for night_bird Add night_bird to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Got a chance to see Studio Ponoc's Mary and the Witch's Flower in the cinema this evening! I'll write about it later though, since it's 2AM.

My Anime List

04.10.2018, 09:00 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nice! I'm interested to hear what you thought. I've talked about it before, but I won't say anything now since I don't want to influence you. Anyway, please do post your opinion!

04.11.2018, 09:26 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Threewishes
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.23.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Threewishes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have been full on movie marathon this weekend, I watched the original trilogy of Star Wars first and then moved on to Lord of the Rings. It's comforting if anything to watch movies from my childhood, but as Husky said once "your evil ways caught up with you": I had forgotten a pile of schoolwork that has to get done, once again...

The nice thing about this was that I truly managed to forget about them and enjoy the movies without bad conscience. I realized this when I woke up this morning. Forgetfulness can bring good and bad things, but I really need to be more wary of it in the future.

Couple of weeks ago I also watched Lawrence of Arabia. Very fine acting, but I think it is better to be enjoyed at home - where you can pause it and take a break. It after all is three and a half hours long feat.

05.28.2018, 02:45 AM Threewishes is offline   Profile for Threewishes Add Threewishes to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched 'Howl's', 'Princess Mononoke', and 'The Cat Returns', seen this weekend..

Today, I've seen 'Kiki's Delivery Service', 'Spirited Away', 'Nausicaa' and 'Earthsea'...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.30.2018, 03:34 AM.

05.30.2018, 03:29 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was flipping thru the channels a bit ago and saw that the original "Willie Wonka..." was just starting and thought that it has been a long while since I've seen it. and Charlie just found the last ticket...

07.18.2018, 11:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Mary and the Witches Flower" and "Indian Summer".

"Mary..." I've seen before and knew what it was all about....
It was, as before, similar to a Ghibli, but not in Ghibli's class.. Ponoc dies have some growing to do...

"Indian Summer" was totally different from what I thought it would be. WAY too much fan service... IMO.

07.24.2018, 04:02 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Groundhog Day" w/ Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell...

07.25.2018, 07:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

On the plane yesterday I watched Black Panther. It was exciting and I was glad that it stood alone and didn't really tie in obviously to the other Marvel films, which I'm pretty tired of hearing about.

07.28.2018, 07:10 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I had an opportunity to rewatch "The Golden Compass". It was great!

07.31.2018, 11:42 PM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I saw Incredibles 2 at the cinema the other day. Honestly I couldn't remember the first film very well, but in any case I liked this one!

08.01.2018, 01:50 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

"Garden of Words"

Meant to watch it last night, but was just too tired, so bright and early this morning, here I am, just finished watching both the movie and the Mokoto Shinkai commentary afterwards.

In the commentary, he mentions a number of Ghibli films (Laputa; Castle of Cagliostro; Kiki's Delivery Service; and Whisper of the Heart) that connected with different artistic parts of his film.

I enjoyed this film as much as I enjoyed "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" and "5 centimeters per Second", also by Shinkai...

If given the opportunity, I recommend watching the commentary as well. It lasts about as long as the mmovie, but I enjoyed the insights that it gave.

08.03.2018, 01:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I was on a flight again and this time I watch Thor: Ragnarok. Even compared to what I'd heard, it was funnier than I expected. Like Black Panther, you can enjoy it without seeing the million other Marvel movies. It was good!

08.15.2018, 09:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I'm a little short of money, so I'm getting some ideas from the movie "The Taking of Pelham 1, 2, 3" to get some tips on hi-jacking a subway train...

Yeah, right, lol

The original movie was in 1974 with Walter Matthau and this one is 2009 with Denzel Washington.

I remember watching this movie quite a few years ago and when I saw the listing, I thought that I'd see this version and see how different it is...

edit:

OK, my opinion? The '74 version was better...

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.22.2018, 02:09 AM.

08.21.2018, 10:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched a short 45min anime movie just now, "Kai Doh Maru". It was not what I expected at all.

A very lot of violence, right from the first scene's. Not my cup of tea at all. Well drawn, IMO, but again not what I usually like to watch... I would equate it in violence content along with "Elfen Leid"...

08.22.2018, 02:40 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"elfen leid" should have been "crazy psycho girl with invisible arms". I mean, it's not much of a spoiler, given their 1st episode.

I haven't seen any good anime since this, so can't recommend anything to ease your pain at the moment. Oh, Isle of dogs was good, but more like average good.

For the movies, there were only disappointments lately. Like 88 minutes with Pacino, or Moby Dick from 1956.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.10.2018, 10:07 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

French apocalyptic movies week, go!

Dans la brume - done. Basically Spoiler!, highlight to read.

french version of The Girl with All the Gifts

La nuit a dévoré le monde - to do.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.14.2018, 11:37 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I watched Being John Malkovich today. I didn't realise it was going to be so strange! It was an interesting watch though, for sure.

10.06.2018, 10:59 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

"Frankenweenie" of course, lol... It is Halloween y'know...

11.01.2018, 05:32 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Just had to see it again...

ANIMAL HOUSE!

(remember the CAKE CAR!?)

11.06.2018, 07:37 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  103  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks