QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 Isakaya High School - Tech Discussion only
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions #2 Isakaya High School - Tech Discussion only Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...    »  ]
natsuba
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.22.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by natsuba Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
@Natsuba: Just a point to note, there are two words to refer to coldness in japanese. The one you used, "tsumetai", is used to refer to a physical state, like water or steel.

The term you're looking for would be "samui", used for a state of surroundings, like weather or your own physical self.

On the other end of the thermometer, the term "atsui" is used for both situations. The difference, though, lies in the kanji used.
Well that's what confused me. I looked it up and was given this:

cold (adj)(e.g. weather) = samui
cold (adj)(to the touch) = tsumetai

So as I wasn't referring to my surroundings but a sharp intake of breath and surprise at how cold the damp grass was on my bare feet I used tsumetai in response to the touch of it, the feel of it. I still think I chose the right one. I'm not referring to the cold day.

05.11.2008, 12:17 PM natsuba is offline   Profile for natsuba Add natsuba to your buddy list Send an Email to natsuba
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

*frowns*

Now how's that for ambiguity.

05.12.2008, 08:41 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can we just halt thread #4 a moment please while I get a response to two PMs I just sent. Thanks everyone.

05.12.2008, 03:50 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Check.

Edited.

^^'

05.12.2008, 04:31 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is it now the day after the party?
Im just wondering...

05.12.2008, 09:24 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Is it now the day after the party?
Im just wondering...

Yep. It's the morning of the day after the party. People are waking up and then leaving or conversing just now.

05.12.2008, 09:38 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So it took another 6 weeks for the party to end!
Whoa, thats a long time.
I guess I wont miss too much in game time in another 3 weeks then.
thats good to know.

05.12.2008, 11:37 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hiya Fen, could you clear some inbox space please love? Thanks!

05.13.2008, 03:12 PM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, sorry! Done ^_^

05.13.2008, 03:31 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Um... I'm having second thoughts about that bathroom post. Is it to much? Should I edit it down?

05.13.2008, 08:12 PM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's fine by me.

I'm not saying that in a funny way either. I imagined myself to be the parent of a random 12 year old child who might login in and read it. Nothing even remotely offensive there for such a person to be bothered about I don't think.

Regarding thread #4, just hold on a bit longer guys, Arren is going to change his last post. Thanks.

05.14.2008, 01:35 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay, I've changed it. Will that do?

05.14.2008, 05:11 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

@ Arren : Yes, that’s fine, thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

@ NC : Do you want to check Hibiki’s post above yours again and leave yours at it is now.. or make another change? I think it still works, mostly. Chi will notice that as she pokes Hibiki in the ribs he’ll give a subdued reaction I should think, (more so that usual if such a thing is possible) as though his mind is preoccupied, and she might notice him looking not at her but at Na-chan.

You could drop in a comment about that if you want.

I’ve PM’d Natsuba and asked her not to respond to Arren’s greeting until you give us a green light in this thread.

After that it’ll be hands off from me again.

05.14.2008, 06:27 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh sorry for the long reply or whatever. Umm yep I edited a teency bit, nothing major Fire away cap'n.

05.14.2008, 05:54 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I’ve done a post from Sadoru on Sunday morning even though he’s not finished Saturday night yet. It struck me that he’s pretty conscientious and wouldn’t lie in bed late when his guests are up, he’d probably be aware he needs to be around, so it’s out-of-character for him to not be up and doing hosty-type things.

I don’t plan on doing much with him though so no need to go talk to him unless you really want to.

I did a Honda post too, she’s mentioned most of the NPCs as being up.

In the tents now we just have:

Takeo, Chitose, Kazuo, Sho.

Maho, Hikari, Aoi, Mai, Kagami.

It IS going to start to rain soon, so if someone wants to introduce the beginnings of that, we can all shift into the house.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.15.2008, 06:43 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Meh, Kaz'll get up soon. I should get a post in tonight.

My Anime List

05.15.2008, 09:07 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No rush. I thought you might keep Kaz out of it hoping JRR got back so you could wake up together

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.15.2008, 09:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by natsuba
quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
@Natsuba: Just a point to note, there are two words to refer to coldness in japanese. The one you used, "tsumetai", is used to refer to a physical state, like water or steel.

The term you're looking for would be "samui", used for a state of surroundings, like weather or your own physical self.

On the other end of the thermometer, the term "atsui" is used for both situations. The difference, though, lies in the kanji used.
Well that's what confused me. I looked it up and was given this:

cold (adj)(e.g. weather) = samui
cold (adj)(to the touch) = tsumetai

So as I wasn't referring to my surroundings but a sharp intake of breath and surprise at how cold the damp grass was on my bare feet I used tsumetai in response to the touch of it, the feel of it. I still think I chose the right one. I'm not referring to the cold day.

All I can add to that is that the only time I come across tsumetai is when its written above drinks in vending machines. To distinguish them from the hot drinks.
Otherwise I and everyone I come across only uses samui, or even suzushii, which means "cool".
Judging by that I would agree with roar.

I think it also depends. For example if you get a cold can and touch someone with it, they will say tsumetai. Judging by my experience.
If you think about it though (and if we want to adhere to your definitions), then the grass is cold because it has rained, which in turn is weather. Just trying to bring some sense into it.

Anyways, judging by my experience here, one would have said samui in that situation.
however I havent seen anyone step on cold grass yet, so I might be wrong.

Post last edited by Loscil on 05.15.2008, 10:16 AM.

05.15.2008, 09:57 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
natsuba
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.22.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by natsuba Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
For example if you get a cold can and touch someone with it, they will say tsumetai. Judging by my experience.
In that case I think tsumetai was the correct word to use. I mean I don’t know at all, my Japanese is weak, but given your explanation and Roar’s I think tsumetai is the word Na-chan meant to use.

She stepped on the grass and said “Ooh! Cold!” as in “Ooh, that feels cold on my feet!”, not “Ooh! It’s cold out here!”

Like if you were to touch your fingers to a metal object on a winters day, you’d pull; them back and go “Cold!”

But as I say, I’m just going on what one online dictionary suggested and how I interpret yours and Roar’s explanations. But thank you both for taking the time to discuss, it’s interesting doing this, I’m learning!

05.15.2008, 11:31 AM natsuba is offline   Profile for natsuba Add natsuba to your buddy list Send an Email to natsuba
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Naw, Natsuba wasn't wrong, the cold object in question was the grass, not her or the weather, so "tsumetai" was right. But I stand by the fact that the sentence was ambiguous.

I think a more simple explantion would be that "samui" is used to define your own state or the weather, while "tsumetai" would refer to any other physical object.

Anyway, I won't be posting any time soon since Sunday was supposed to be a short day. Probably after some time has passed, around 10 or later, Icchan will be making his way.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.15.2008, 11:35 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks