QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  ...    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The thing i have to say is Scotland has to heal the divide. However this result was more or less expected by me as i mentioned in the earlier post here.

Good Luck to all the people from UK.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

09.19.2014, 10:59 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have a relative (mother of some of my grand-kids..) that has decided to not have any more birthday parties for her... Doesn't see the need for the expense when only a few people show up... The kids are 10, 7, 4 and 3 months. (three are step grand-kids but I love them all). BTW, they are taking the 10-yr old to dinner and a movie (expensive theater)...

I don't see where they are saving any money???

10.02.2014, 12:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think birthdays are overrated but anyway, it really depends on the definition of 'party'. If it's the kind where you invite your extended family with a barbeque on the lawn then I agree on the cutbacks. Having a cake with mom and dad at dinner though, not so much.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.03.2014, 12:57 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've always liked my birthdays simple, and Mom has complied. Besides, my birthday is only a week before Christmas, so what's a few less presents at my birthday?

10.03.2014, 05:58 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My daughter was born on Dec 23 and my ex-wife was Dec 26. I know about kids missing out on birthday parties. We usually held daughter's party mid-year sometime.

10.03.2014, 10:09 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I pity twins because they never get their own birthday party. Because, you know

My aunt, brother and sister are born on the 4th, 5th and 6th January respectively. My grandmother has hers on 31st December while my only nephew's is on January 1st. And there's one or two other cousins whose birthdays are on December 2Xth and another between my nephew and aunt. Half the time we have a family gathering around that time and just get it all done at one go, hahaha My dad, youngest brother and me get dumped in the later half of March.

Meanwhile my mom is the only one from any side in August.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.03.2014, 11:27 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

its kinda similar with my family too. october, november, december.But birthday is actually not celebrated most of the time, its kinda like a tradition to have a big party once in a lifetime and thats it for him.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

10.03.2014, 01:48 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This made me curious, so I looked to see what were the most common birthdays. Apparently, at least in anglophone countries, people are most likely to be born in September.

10.03.2014, 01:51 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Reading these posts, I feel quite lucky to have been a July baby.

My Anime List

10.03.2014, 02:15 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, thinking about the agricultural aspects of North America... Freezing and snowy in December and January... Big surprise about September babies, lol... September IS the ninth month, right???

lol

10.03.2014, 05:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have a friend whose younger sister by two years was born the same day as her. lol

I also have a friend with a twin and their birthday is close to Christmas time. Her best friend is two years older and his birthday is the day before hers.

My sister and I are both March babies so we used to have joint birthdays.

10.03.2014, 09:11 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I know some parents do plan the baby's birth to be in a certain month. There was a study years back that babirs born after the start of a school year tend to have a little edge simply due to having more time for their brains to develop.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.03.2014, 10:43 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
This made me curious, so I looked to see what were the most common birthdays. Apparently, at least in anglophone countries, people are most likely to be born in September.

This is because in winter, people tend to stay in, keep warm and - cuddle up... ahem.

This fact, and the opposite which applies in the southern hemisphere is what kills all the nonsense about horoscopes.

Roarkiller - yes its easy to work things to help your baby get a good start in life. My wife and I made this effort for Ayami and we see now that it has really given her a number of advantages.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.04.2014, 07:32 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

a adult question to the adult people here. ..cough...

is it actually possible to get pregnent in a certain timeframe? i mean what saddle said can that be planned?

10.05.2014, 05:27 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, if the parents-to-be understand the biological clock of the mother its possible to make every effort to time things for a birth at a certain week/month. Nature can intervene with all kinds of obstacles but parents can certainly try.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.05.2014, 06:40 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, pregnancy can be planned for a specific time frame.

I guess my ex's family has some sort of way for making sure that their first child is always a son (which... either works or it's just funny because yeah, all the first children are sons and the rest are daughters). Although I'd never do that. lol

10.05.2014, 11:11 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I wasn't aware gender could be controlled. Can it?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

10.05.2014, 11:21 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm skeptical. I figure it has something to do genetics that makes people more likely to have boys or girls... But I don't know. I'm sure there are environmental factors too.

My Anime List

10.05.2014, 11:36 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

FFF:
Since the male contribution determines the gender on a random basis, it would either have to be genetics or just sheer plan luck in the instances of your ex's 'male first' family, or as has been done in the past in some Asian communities, a female first pregnancy might be terminated or otherwise gotten rid of.

I am sure that this is not true of most Asian societies, but from my readings, it has happened in some. I believe that it occurred in China with it's stringent population controls...

As far as family genetics....
My oldest son had all boys and finally a girl where my youngest son had all girls until finally a boy... Me, I had a girl then two boys. My daughter started off with two girls then a boy, now has five girls and three boys.

10.05.2014, 01:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm skeptical too. lol It was some sort of tradition his family followed. I don't remember what or which culture it was from, but his family believed in it. Probably just ironic that the first born children were all male. His mother has around four or five sisters and they all had sons first and her brother happened to have a daughter instead. I just found it amusing.

It was something related around the moon I think. I have no sweet clue. It was something from a different culture than his own.

I'll have no idea what I'll wind up having (not that I really care). My boyfriend only has a brother and I only have a sister. There's more females born in my family but his is more an even mix. I think he has more cousins than I do, since most are around his age.

10.05.2014, 01:07 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks