QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ fen
I am an amateur historian for my area and I was looking at this picture one day and wondered what that tall building (blue arrow)in the background on the left was... I asked around some other historians and old-timers, but no one seemed to know anything about it. This snowy picture was taken in 1930, but I have found evidence of it in other photos from 1919 on up to the mid-1950's when it (along with many other buildings) was torn down for the new freeway being built thru the middle of town.

I enlarged the section of the above photo and saw the sign on the side of the building indicating that it was a hotel, but unfortunately, there was a black mark right across the name. All of the people that I knew or could find were young children at the time the building was there and what kid pays attention to a hotel building. Candy store, oh yeah, remember those, but a hotel? No... The picture would not enlarge any further without pixelating the lettering so that was no help.

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.19.2015, 03:05 PM.

01.19.2015, 02:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This was a photo taken in 1920 on the same street, but looking north. Along the right edge of the photo, you can see a portion of the hotel building in question. So we knew the building was there even back then. It wasn't there n a older 1907 photo.

The second picture was taken in the 1940's, but only shows the "O.K. Market" sign on the front of the building with no other identifying features...

A thought just occurred to me! The owner of the hardware store just one block away was present in Tombstone, Arizona at the time of the OK Corral shootout with Wyatt Earp. I wonder if there is any connection??? BTW, Wyatt Earp's family had a ranch just west of us and members of his family are buried in Colton, Calif. One brother was a Constable there. Wyatt, as a teenager, drove freight wagons
in that area.

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.19.2015, 03:23 PM.

01.19.2015, 03:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Where we finally got the name of the hotel was a chance miracle, actually. It seems that a man named James who lived in the area as a kid had a much older sister presently living up in Washington near him. He went over for a visit last week and, using his smart phone, showed the picture to Lola, who is 86 yrs old. James said that when she saw the picture, she immediately said, "Why, that's the Drew Hotel"... She said that she remembered it because the railroad station was across the street (behind the bldgs on the right in the first pictures) and when she was walking to school, her mother admonished her to walk on that side of the street in front of the hotel because of the hobos that hung around the RR station.

I got Lola's phone number and we talked for about two hours and I learned a few more things about our little town back then. I am sending her copies of the pictures and a map and she is going to fill in the map with names of businesses and proprietors that she remembers from her years in town. She and her friends used to go the the alleyway door of one bakery that supplied the bread items to her school on the way home from school. She said that she would ask if she could have a treat 'on the cuff' (buy now, pay later) as she worded it. She cannot recall ever paying off the debt,,,

I am looking forward to haveing longer conversations and letters with this lady who seems to be quite sharp and lucid in her memories. When she comes down to visit this early summer, I am looking forward to meeting her.

01.19.2015, 03:38 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whoa, thanks for the explanation. I had no idea it was such an old picture. Makes the story all that much cooler xD

01.19.2015, 04:56 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I have a few dozen of the old pictures in my possession, some are the originals. I also have hundreds of photos and prints and drawings in my web files. Some organized, some in disarray, lol. And now I have started on another quest of looking through some of the newspaper files in our Library. Not the microfilms or fiche, just the original papers themselves. Some are very fragile. I am scanning some of the articles, photos and drawings. and out of six boxes in all, I've only gone through two and have over 500 scans already. I am using a hand scanner and after scanning everything, THEN I have to sort them out. The articles are the most difficult. Look at an average newspage. Many of the stories are in columns split up by pictures, ads, etc and collating them in their proper order can be confusing sometmes... I am hoping that something about the Drew Hotel will come up... The oldest paper that I've scanned so far is several sections of a special 1943 edition.

01.19.2015, 07:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Why are there so many blatantly racist people on my Facebook? Makes me wonder what they say about my relationship. I've had some comments made by people that have bugged me.. to my face, nonetheless. Think it's time I clean some of these people out of my friends list.

01.21.2015, 12:23 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
MiyazakiGirl
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.17.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MiyazakiGirl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You go girl/boy! Racism has no place ANYWHERE! Maybe before you block them, send them some information about racism and stuff, ya know?

01.21.2015, 01:50 AM MiyazakiGirl is offline   Profile for MiyazakiGirl Add MiyazakiGirl to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Isn't there a reporting feature for racist comments? I often report posters on YT for such stuff. YT often deletes their posts in response.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.21.2015, 01:46 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would, to some of them. lol I just deleted them. I think the guy who posted something last night's girlfriend got upset that he ordered something so racist for his car. Anyway, if I ever see it I will be pretty upset.

Saddle, these are people I know in real life so I can't exactly filter them out. lol I got rid of around twenty people off my friends list who are pretty racist (except a few since they're friends but I feel if they do anything more I'll let them go).

Speaking of racism, I often wonder if my mother is. She doesn't say anything directly but she hints at it or says stereotypical things, especially about Asians. Which is weird because her parents and sisters are nothing like that. o.O She won't talk to my boyfriend much and she usually makes him repeat things, which makes him feel paranoid. lol His English is very fast spoken, which I think is normal for people from his area of Asia. It also took her forever to remember what country he was from and then she got confused when she realized he was ethnically Chinese and couldn't put two and two together. Anyway, he gets along really super well with my father who spends hours talking to him and they hang out and drink together. My sister likes him too. My family bought him lots of gifts for Christmas, which he was surprised by but very happy about. I just hope my mom will warm up to him more and talk to him. Even if I bring him up she won't say anything. :s

01.21.2015, 05:02 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I don't know what ethniticy your boyfriend is, and it doesn't really matter. If from another country, your mother may have a fear that you'll end up moving to his country and be in the same position as my daughter and I. A great distance between us and I seldom get to see her and my grandkids...

Just a thought...

01.22.2015, 01:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Sadly, me moving away anywhere is inevitable because the economy in my province is poor and there isn't any work in the fields my boyfriend and I are interested in. I know that's part of the reason, although we don't have any plans to move to his country because we'd be too poor trying to pay off my debt, and because he feels sort of like an outsider there. Besides his family, the food, and childhood memories, I don't think there's anything drawing him to want to go back (he hasn't gone back in over a year or two).

She got upset when I said I wanted to teach overseas and asked why I couldn't stay here. I said that's not what I want and I wouldn't be gone more than a few years. She thinks it's terrible to have children and not raise them near their grandparents, but what can I do? Even if I marry my boyfriend and we stayed here, our kids would be so far away from his family, which is why I'd prefer living closer to the west coast. I can't make a living for myself or for us here or give my children the opportunities I didn't have. We're planning on settling in Canada but we won't be living near home and it'd still cost a ton to travel back because of the area my parents live in.

The big issue is my mother holds family as being the biggest thing in life, and I think is upset that I don't view it the same way. But I can't stay here. This might have been why she was okay with my ex-boyfriend, because he had different values and also saw family as important and would likely spend most of his life here after becoming a citizen. But thinking of spending the rest of my life here.... is going to drive me crazy. I would become miserable. My boyfriend also can't get PR because of changes in immigration laws regarding international students so we're kind of in limbo on where we'll both be for the next few years. He has to look for long term employment to work towards PR. Or we get married and he comes with me but he'll likely have to work from home, which he's fine with if needed so I can go towards my own dreams.

My boyfriend is from Southeast Asia.

01.22.2015, 10:25 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He's Malaysian, and arguably (not very), Canada's a much better place for him.

I can't imagine your mom being rascist though. I have a not-so-vague memory of you once telling us of her exclaiming "asian babies!" or something

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.23.2015, 11:57 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Haha, that was with my ex, I think. She's been more hostile to my current boyfriend. But like I said, the other guy is Canadian now and planning on staying here. She did say some racist things though before. lol But I don't think she realizes what she's saying. My mom is pretty liberal on most subjects although her views are still different than mine (she is pretty open and fully supportive to gay people, but she tends to think all gay people want to be the opposite sex so she has some things confused).

Yeah, he's pretty sure 99% that he'll move here permanently. My job plans kind of conflict with his goals and attempt for residency but I'm only planning on doing it for a little while and he's fine with that. I'm planning on taking a course in immigration consultation so I should be able to help him out when the time comes.

01.23.2015, 02:53 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So... this cheese packet says "maid for melting on toast".
No, cheese people, that is not what maids are for. Not even close. If you're lucky enough to have a maid, I would not advise melting her. Not even on toast.

My Anime List

01.24.2015, 02:05 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The post above brought all kinds of non-family-appropriate images into my head.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.25.2015, 05:35 AM.

01.24.2015, 04:11 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The post above brought all kinds of non-family viewing images into my head.

0_o"

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.24.2015, 10:11 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

O_o lol images... girls...melting... shut up, Husky... don't close your eyes, no help... damn it, I can't get that phrase out of my mind.... lol

Not the best drfawing, but you get the idea... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.25.2015, 12:14 AM.

01.24.2015, 11:32 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Man, some of my friends are getting accepted to grad school and getting funding. I feel sad because that can't be me, both because of my grades and I can't burden my parents with paying the interest on my loans for two more years. On the other side, many people I know from high school are having children or getting married, or dropped out of school or went to community college, or never went at all. I'm still young but I feel perplexed. lol And a little lonely. I just feel sad that there's never been any sort of expectation for me, y'know? Not like my friends whose parents expect things of them. I've never had any. That's partly why I've felt so miserable since entering school, besides studying a field that little interests me anymore (and what happened there? I used to love literature, and still do, but I feel my confidence to do well has been shattered). Even if I complete my degree, it's not like I can find a career for myself. I don't have that sort of confidence like I used to have.

I just want to be happy and have confidence in myself again, but I feel ruined in a way. I know I shouldn't be. But it's hard. I've been putting these emotions into my writing. Not negative ones, but the real emotions I should say. I don't know how to explain how I feel. I don't even know what I'm saying. I just feel stupid and weak, which isn't how I should feel. I want to do so much with my life but I feel sort of kicked down.

01.27.2015, 10:34 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, first of all, my dear friend... get off the 'pity-me' wagon and re-group. It doesn't do any good, believe me, I know! Give some heavy thought as to where your life is going and how it has changed since you have been in University and try and think about what has changed... Why your goals have changed, etc... All of it!

Finish the term as best you can, if at all possible. If not feasible, back up, give yourself a break from study, go to work for a while and try again at a later date. If it is meant to be, you wil do it because you will attack it again with a different mind set and will...

You know that we all love you and support you in your efforts, so do what you feel is best for the moment...

Good luck and big hugs, sweetie...

To say anything else and just sympathize with you will not do you a bit of good...

Frankly and sincerely, Husky

01.28.2015, 12:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No, I wasn't so much as feeling pity for myself as just feeling really down. lol I wasn't really expecting any sympathy. I tried talking about it to my boyfriend. I just can't focus lately and find myself randomly crying again for no reason.

I just feel trapped. I can't just stop going to school because it means paying back my enormous debt. I don't have the money to do that and move to somewhere for work, because that surely won't happen here. I'd be miserable either way. Even if my loans could be deferred, they're not regular student loans and it'd cost me a good chunk monthly to pay the interest on them. So I feel... stuck that way. Where can I go if I dropped out? I've been asking that for the past three years and no one has been able to help give me an answer. I can't do anything without a degree and I surely can't live happily doing one. I've been sucking it up and trying to complete it but it's just so frickin' painful sometimes. haha Why is it making me so miserable? I love learning and used to like school. I'm not sure what happened there. I know there's a myriad of other issues at play and I just don't know what to do..

It's not that I haven't been thinking or re-examining my situation. I just feel trapped. I'd love to just be able to stop but I know that comes with more complications than anything else. I just want to be happy and now I'm worried if I'll ever be happy again. Which I know someday I might be, but why can't that be today or something? :s I've been told to make an appointment, go see someone about this, but they're always booked. They're booked solid for over a month. I am going to go crazy and I don't know what to do.

01.28.2015, 08:07 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks