QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
Hi all, I've made the definite decision today that I'm going to apply to JET! I was wondering whether any of you who have been through the process wouldn't mind maybe PMing me some top tips you might have?

I'd be very grateful

Yay!!!! I am applying this year again. <3 We can do the application process together if you want. ^^ I'm more than willing to go over your SOP with you.

09.12.2016, 11:15 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nice! When I applied it was for a different position and I didn't get it anyway, but I'd be happy to help if you want.

09.13.2016, 12:43 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

what's jet?

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.14.2016, 02:33 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

JET's a programme that primarily hires people to work as assistant language teachers in Japan, but has a couple other different positions too. Arren was an alternate for the CIR position, I think. I'm an alternate for the ALT position applying again for next year. Let the fun begin~.

The kids I worked with this summer have really driven me to want to teach. They thought the fact I had dreams and goals was amazing. Here in Canada, they had time to reflect and think about what they really wanted to do with their lives (especially important to third years). I never expected to inspire them to find their own goals.

09.14.2016, 07:17 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
isnorelikeabluewhale
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.17.16
  HelloPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by isnorelikeabluewhale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey y'all,

I'm pretty new here. This is my first post really. Howl,s Moving Castle is playing in a theater tonight and I'm wondering if it's a good movie to see... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Whale

09.17.2016, 10:34 PM isnorelikeabluewhale is offline   Profile for isnorelikeabluewhale Add isnorelikeabluewhale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As a Ghibli fan, I have to say that any Ghibli movie is a good one to see... Many of us consider Howl's a very good movie and recommend it... My favorite happens to be Whisper of the Heart.

Welcome to the Tavern, Whale, we all hope you like it here...

09.17.2016, 11:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, Whale! Welcome. Absolutely you should go see it! Ghibli films aren't in the theatre that often and Howl's Moving Castle is a great one.

My Anime List

09.18.2016, 12:23 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello whale! Welcome to the tavern. Howl's moving castle is great! I'd recommend Kiki's deliveries, spirited away, my neighbor totoro, princess mononoke for starting if you haven't seen them already (my tops).

09.18.2016, 08:40 AM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

howls castle is not that great. if anything, you should watch it to save better ghibli things for laters.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.18.2016, 04:45 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ Whale
hahaha, as can be seen, we do not all agree on everything, lol

09.18.2016, 08:54 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Howl's Moving Castle completely shaped my life.. lol

09.18.2016, 09:58 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
Howl's Moving Castle completely shaped my life.. lol

really, how?

09.19.2016, 04:44 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I first saw it when I was 11, after my cousin told me there were more Ghibli films than the ones I owned and that they were from Japan. I found my passion for writing through watching the movie and reading the novel consecutively. Also after learning it was a Japanese film I decided to look into watching it in Japanese and other films from Japan. I found an interest in languages and decided to become a teacher.

09.20.2016, 10:36 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That is a lovely story. Awesome stuff.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.20.2016, 10:48 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

JET Canadian application is out. I'm feeling so much more confident about the process this time and excited to tackle it.

09.20.2016, 12:51 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HMC isn't one of my favourite Ghibli films but it is good. I think it's probably a pretty nice starting point too.

09.20.2016, 07:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I blame Howl's Moving Castle for getting me where I am now, too, haha. Ten years ago my mum bought it for my dad's birthday. That was my introduction to Ghibli, which got me interested in anime; anime got me in interested in Japanese. After a couple of failed attempts I finally got into university to study it, and now here I am in Nagoya. It's a little scary to think about how life would have been if I'd never discovered Japanese. It was the first time I'd been really passionate about learning and discovering something, and I've no other interest that matches it in that way.

My Anime List

09.20.2016, 07:37 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

on the subject of 'how did I get into anime', we had an hdd full of illegally downloaded movies, and there was a folder called 'anime' and, out of nothing else left to watch, we picked one at random. and that's how it started.

well, not really random, I scrolled it randomly and noticed a cat bus, which I knew about from some 4chan art. so I got curious what was that about. expected some crazy thing like paprika, but it turned out rather nice, and lovely.

09.21.2016, 06:23 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Watching Ghibli movies (I keep wanting to write 'films' ) is what got me interested in anime in general.
I do remember watching "Alakazam the Great" in 1960 from the back seat of the family car. I have always watched cartoons and have enjoyed them since childhood, but anime is something entirely different in my way of thinking and Ghibli tops the list with some Pixar...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.22.2016, 01:39 AM.

09.22.2016, 01:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
from the back seat of the family car

this reminded me of top-notch quality comic strip, in animated gif format, that I absolutely love but can't find it for these last 20 minutes. so... sorry, but you can't see it still, to not leave you empty-handed, here is another one, not animated but...

you were just hit by the feels train! choo-choo, mofos.

09.22.2016, 04:15 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  «    ...  94  95  96  97  98  99  100  101  102  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks