QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  683  684  685  686  687  688  689  690  691  ...    »  ]
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi all, it's been a hot minute I don't think I've checked in since the start of the pandemic. It's crazy to me that when I first joined the forum, I was only 13 and I lied and told everyone that I was 18, and now I'm 20! How time flies.

I'm a sophomore in college now, majoring in English and Film Studies, and I really like being at school. I work as a Resident Advisor for my dorm, so I get free housing, which is definitely a plus. I love my residents, they make my job very easy. I have to put on social events every month, and I've actually been doing weekly Studio Ghibli movie nights since the start of the fall semester! My residents really like them. We're going in chronological order and we're currently on Earthsea. I'm excited to see how my residents feel about that one

HL: I'm seeing Dua Lipa in concert tonight with some friends!

I'll try and post on here every once in a while! I do miss you all and I like checking in on the discord and Twitter occasionally. Hope everyone is getting by!

02.26.2022, 06:12 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good to see you again, Flare and glad to see that things are going well for you...

02.27.2022, 02:39 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh hey Flare!! Nice to see you here and I'm glad to hear things you're doing well. You must've been doing the Ghibli movie nights for a while now if you've reached Earthsea!

02.28.2022, 11:24 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.26.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wish I would have been in your dorm..

03.01.2022, 09:08 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Sent some old textbooks off to new homes. Got some visa stuff organised. Got breakfast from the local bakery (ugh, so good).

LL: It's a wet and miserable day...

My Anime List

03.14.2022, 10:57 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wish I could send some of my sunshine your way, Kaz... Supposed to get up to around 80F (26.6C)... possible light rain tomorrow, but not likely...

I wish that I had a bakery shop to go to... double sigh... I'm sitting here thinking of the aroma's...

A donut shop just ain't the same, y'know...

03.14.2022, 01:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Holy Suffering Catfish, Batman!!!

HL:
I've been a member of the 'Ghibli Tavern' now for 14 years and a day!!!

or as Sylvester the cat might say:

"Sufferin' Succotash!!!!"

03.18.2022, 05:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, that's crazy! I realised at some point that I'd been here 15 years as of last August. It's interesting that several of the people who still come here joined around the same sort of time.

03.18.2022, 06:27 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, that's a long time! Congrats on being a part of a community for so long, that seems like a rare thing. What was it like here back in the day? Was it very different?

03.19.2022, 08:45 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Back then there were a lot of Ghibli films that weren't seen yet or hadn't been produced yet... At the time there were maybe 40 or so active/semi-active members and a few dozen more that just popped in now and then...

Yes, the Tavern was very active back then lots of discussion about Ghibli's, non-Ghibli's and life in general... mostly younger people in their 20's as I recall and a few older ones like Saddletank and myself... A lot of people never gave a birthdate, age or even whether they were male or female... and often, the user names didn't show anything, one way or another... but all that didn't matter, the important thing was that we were lovers of Ghibli, first and foremost and that was why we were here in the Tavern...

A few countries are still represented, but back then we were literally world-wide... Great Britain; Japan; Australia; all the Scandinavian Countries, the Netherlands; some of the South American Countries, Germany; Some Arab Countries; USA and Canada (different States and Provinces)... More places than I can recall at the moment...

Some of the Members from then still pop in now and then to say "Hi"... and it is always a pleasure to see them...

03.19.2022, 03:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, it was definitely a lot busier. Some threads were really active - for example, this thread is marked as #2 because the original one got so long that a new one was started! At that time there were more people around as new Ghibli films were still being released pretty regularly, but also forums were just a lot more popular as a format in general.

03.19.2022, 03:34 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Couple of days ago now, but...

HL: I booked my flight to Japan. o_o Reality's starting to sink in!

LL: So many things to dooo!

My Anime List

03.20.2022, 03:56 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha...

Too bad you can't fly at night like Kiki, eh? lol

03.20.2022, 08:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

I love it here now, but would have been cool to be around back then as well. But at least we have one more Ghibli film to come at least. Fingers crossed.

Kazegami: That's exciting! Are you going for work or for pleasure, or both? Do you still have to quarantine for a week in a hotel when you get there?

03.21.2022, 03:50 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by ButaPairotto
Kazegami: That's exciting! Are you going for work or for pleasure, or both? Do you still have to quarantine for a week in a hotel when you get there?

It's for work! An internship, to be precise. I'll be living on an island on the Seto Inland Sea for a year, and then, who knows?

But yeah, I'm only able to go because it's for work. Japan's still closed to tourists.

My Anime List

03.21.2022, 04:42 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

That sounds like a great experience and opportunity! Keep us posted on what it's like to live there, I would love to hear about it. I'm now going to go look up Seto Inland sea because I have no idea what or where it is...

03.22.2022, 07:21 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, SAME here...

03.22.2022, 12:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

It's the body of water between the islands of Honshu and Shikoku - so "inland" in contrast with the ocean. If you go to places like Osaka, Kobe, Okayama or Hiroshima, those are on the northern coast of the Seto Inland Sea.

@Kaz - unless I've misremembered exactly where you're going, I went there for a few days during my last couple of months in Japan. It was really nice, so I hope you like it there!

03.22.2022, 05:42 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I have been in Kobe, a l-o-o-o-o-o-g time ago...

03.22.2022, 10:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks arren! That's good to hear. It looks like a pretty area, and I'm just a short walk away from the beach, so that's nice too. And yeah, Kobe will be my nearest big city. I really like the idea of living in Kobe, it seems lovely.

LL: my flight got cancelled, UGH.

HL: I got a new one - cheaper! It's a bit longer too, unfortunately, but nothing disastrous.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 03.26.2022, 04:18 PM.

03.26.2022, 04:17 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  683  684  685  686  687  688  689  690  691  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks