QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  639  640  641  642  643  644  645  646  647  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I had not heard that. Maybe I'll try doing it that way then.

06.28.2017, 11:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18

You're right, the exchange rate is very different. A dollar is just over 100 yen now. But $17 for that still sounds outrageous! In yen that would be so much that I'd probably not pay that for a meal outside special occasions.

Hahaha, you're right, I wouldn't ordinarily either, but there are so few GOOD Japanese restaurants in my area that I have to drive quite a few miles (20+) to find one. Thankfully, they are there... Red Wasabi, Shogun and a couple of others. I ate at one in West Sacramento once that was excellent named Wasabi's...

There are a three right in the small 2-city area where I live but they don't even have a decent Sukiyaki.
My life is so hard... lol

06.28.2017, 12:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Japanese food can be very expensive here, even though I live right on the water. Most Japanese restaurants are Korean-owned here so it's often more fusion food. Authentic restaurants can be found in the next province.

$1 CAD is around 87 yen right now. lol Although I don't want the dollar to improve too much if I live overseas until I work out a living plan around paying back student loans.

06.28.2017, 03:13 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There's a really nice Japanese restaurant somewhat close to where I live. It's called Kaze, and it is wonderful both in food and atmosphere

06.28.2017, 06:15 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL/LL: I may be able to change jobs but I'm just wondering if it's worth it right now.. I really, really like the people I work with and the supervisors and floor staff definitely like me. But sometimes the hours are inconsistent, although they always try to find me work somewhere in different departments.

There's that and I find out about Korea in a couple weeks and if I get accepted then I'd only be able to work for them less than a month. I'm not sure I'd want to make them pay to train me and then I leave last minute.

I'm also applying to an education related job in case Korea doesn't work out because I want experience working with kids. But that wouldn't start until the school year begins. Although if it's only part-time I may be able to do this other job during the evening.

Not used to having options. haha

06.28.2017, 08:19 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, far as I can see you'd be better off staying where you are right now, FFF. At least until you hear about Korea.

HL: games and drinks with friends!

My Anime List

06.30.2017, 11:55 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL/LL:
Am I a glutton for punishment or what.
Went to the VA hospital where I was scheduled for a minor appt... no prob... meh/l
Then I went to the rehab area where I spent abt 3 months last year... donated a bunch of books and met up with a bunch of my former inmates, lol... HL
Got up and sang three karaoke songs, wasn't used to the last one, lost my key and couldn't find it... still...HHL

Stopped at another Japanese restaurant on the way home for lunch... sigh... vegetable Yaki udon, small bowl of rice 5 pieces of Maguro, green tea and red bean ice cream. ALL very delicious... but!!! $26.40 + tip USD ouch... LL..

All in all, went in with my eyes open, don't do this all the time, so I enjoyed it... HHHHHHL

06.30.2017, 09:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, gotta treat yourself now and then.

HL: well, got the JLPT N2 exam out of the way today. Really couldn't say whether I've passed or not. I'm... cautiously optimistic. I did okay, but... whether I did okay enough to pass all the required sections, I'll have to wait until the end of August to hear. It sure would be nice to have this under my belt, but if I didn't manage it I can always try again in the winter, and I'll be better prepared then.

LL: friend of mine's really buckling under the exam stress, and there's nothing I can think of to do to help her... I'm no good in these situations.

My Anime List

07.02.2017, 10:14 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Sometimes, just a kind word from a friend is helpful, Kaz

07.02.2017, 11:28 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Sometimes. I'm not sure if it does any good here, but I'm going to ask if she wants to do some practice for her presentation with me tomorrow, hopefully that'll be somewhat useful...

HL: nice dinner with a couple of friends.

LL: kanji exam tomorrow, oh goodness. I have a lot of cramming to do. But then cramming usually works very well for me, so it should hopefully be okay (in the short term, at least. I pass tests this way but the kanji don't necessarily stick, ha).

*some time later*

Scratch that, this exam's going to be a massacre. <_<

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 07.03.2017, 10:20 AM.

07.03.2017, 07:26 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh my, poor Kaz! I was the same with my Spanish exam when I was doing my studying for finals. I passed it and managed to hold on to my GPA, so I bet you can do the same!

HL: I'm hanging out with a bunch of friends tonight for Fourth of July here in America, so that'll be fun.
LL: My girlfriend is going to Japan for two weeks. It's really exciting, and I hope she has a great time, but I'm gonna miss her... Oh well, at least she's bringing me home a Pokemon plushie

07.03.2017, 01:05 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: Writing more of my story today. I've been making some sound progress

07.03.2017, 11:04 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

HL: Exam wasn't a complete and utter disaster! Far from my best performance, mind, but it went better than I was expecting. Only one more exam to go now, the grammar one tomorrow. Not too worried about that. ^^ While we have gone over a lot of grammar points this semester, there's been nothing particularly difficult to understand.

Friend that was down seems to be doing better. She's doing her presentation in a couple of hours and while I'm sure she's nervous as all Hell, her poster's looking great. She's put in so much effort. It's about Ni no Kuni and its themes of mental health.

My Anime List

07.04.2017, 01:56 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

heh heh heh I'm glad for you and your friend, Kaz and the fact that I don't have to take any exams... lol

07.04.2017, 04:46 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ha, thanks Husky. I'll be glad to get these ones over tomorrow, that's for sure...

LL: some twonk at uni stole my umbrella. D:<

My Anime List

07.04.2017, 07:56 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami

LL: some twonk at uni stole my umbrella. D:<

May the Gods increase their journey by the passing of a thousand Torii...

Reminds me of when I was at hospital last year and was issued a standard walker to help me get around. All the walkers looked alike, so to keep mine different I painted the handle on one side green and the other side red with paints from a paint-by-numbers kit. I then added the words 'port' and 'stbd' in white... Got quite a few comments from it...

Of course there were a number of non-naval ppl who didn't understand, so I had to explain...

Port = left = red (as in the red wine)
stbd (starboard) = right = green

port/left--even number of letters

starboard/right--odd number of letters

spaces left of the centerline of a ship are all even numbered spaces

spaces right of the centerline are odd numbered spaces

individual spaces are counted from the centerline (the lower the number, the closer to the centerline of that frame

distance from the bow of the ship is counted by the frames (or ribs) of the ship... (Not counted in feet or any linear measure, just frame)
example: Space 19/46-- 19th frame from the bow/space [46] along that rib on the port [left] side of the ship...

Everybody totally confused now? lol

I think that these are standard throughout the world,
but I may be wrong... I received my training from the US Navy...

HL:
OH yeah, Kaz, hope you can get another umbrella (brolly?) soon...

Note: see how my mind works...sigh

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.04.2017, 01:03 PM.

07.04.2017, 11:43 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

LL: I got rejected from the Korean teaching program.

07.04.2017, 04:59 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

LL:
you have my condolences, young'n...

LLL:
I was sitting at the keyboard and noticed a smoke smell and a LOT of smoke blowing past my front window... A house about 300 feet upwind of me had a great deal of smoke blowing strongly down the street, at times so bad that I couldn't see the house directly across from me.

before it was all over, about 5 or 6 fire engines were on scene with a huge amount of cops... blocking the street off and telling people to go away, back to their homes in order to stop breathing the smoke. I wasn't as bothered by it as bad as others, not sure why unless it was from my fire fighting training in the Navy. I did go the the elderly ladies hone across from me to let them know what was happening and to stay inside.

Not 100% sure but it seems that the fire was caused by illegal fireworks. During one part of the fire, it sounded like a gun battle going on but was only fireworks. I'm sure that on top of the damage to their home, the people their will be paying thousands of dollars in fines...

HL:
No ambulances were on scene so apparently no one was hurt.

07.04.2017, 09:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks, husky. <3

People try to set off fireworks on their property? I had to talk some of the exchange student boys out of setting fireworks off near houses. They couldn't understand how it was dangerous (and illegal) so I told them if they wanted to use them they either needed town permission or to go to the beach. I'm not sure if setting off fireworks on beaches is illegal but most people do that here.

07.04.2017, 10:05 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Really sorry to hear that, FFF.

HL: grammar exam went really well, and now I'm freeeee. Only things left to worry about now are going-home preparations. @_@

My Anime List

07.04.2017, 10:29 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  639  640  641  642  643  644  645  646  647  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks