QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » #2 What's the Highlight of your Day!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  644  645  646  647  648  649  650  651  652  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I took the JLPT today. Highlight: it's finally over! I can relax now. Lowlight: I'm not as confident about the result as I'd hoped.

12.03.2017, 12:03 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren are you already not a teacher there arren? i mean you can not teach without knowing japanese right? or it is a level based exam like 1,2,3,4 etc? wiki says there are levels, how many does one need?

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

12.04.2017, 11:46 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There are 5 levels, Saviour, N5 is the lowest and N1 the highest. I believe you need at least N2 for most jobs but teaching can be very variable; some people are hired as English teaching assistants with almost no Japanese.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 12.04.2017, 12:00 PM.

12.04.2017, 11:59 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
There are 5 levels, Saviour, N5 is the lowest and N1 the highest. I believe you need at least N2 for most jobs but teaching can be very variable; some people are hired as English teaching assistants with almost no Japanese.

hmm interesting, does it have other value than teaching in japan? thank you very much for answering.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

12.04.2017, 12:15 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd imagine it's a useful qualification in any job in Japan, for a foreigner. It's proof that you're somewhat competent in the language. The more competent you are, the less the company will need to look after you and the easier your life will be. I'm not at all interested in teaching as a career, working as a translator is my goal. I have JLPT N2 at the moment and intend to get N1 at some point in the future. I'd actually say that the further from English teaching or translation your job is, the more important it is for your language to be at a high standard. If the job can be done just as well by a Japanese person then you really need to be fluent (or be extremely well qualified for the job) in order to have a chance.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 12.04.2017, 12:46 PM.

12.04.2017, 12:44 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I imagine that if you were applying for a top level physics job and you had the intellect of an Einstein or a Curie, then knowledge of Japanese would not necessarily be a problem. The company would simply hire someone like you, Kaz, or a Japanese person who was fluent in English or French...

Is this a good example or am I being obtuse?

12.04.2017, 02:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
@arren are you already not a teacher there arren? i mean you can not teach without knowing japanese right? or it is a level based exam like 1,2,3,4 etc? wiki says there are levels, how many does one need?

You can definitely teach without knowing Japanese. Something I really don't appreciate about a lot of English schools' policies is that they don't want the native English teachers using Japanese at all. So for HR, it's maybe even better if you don't know Japanese.

So the JLPT is more useful for when you do need to prove Japanese aptitude. It's good for learners to test their abilities, but also for giving potential employers an idea of how much you know.

And yes, as Kaz said it does have different levels. I did N2 three years ago when I was an exchange student. Since then my spoken Japanese has kind of stagnated, but in terms of knowledge I've learnt a lot more in that time. I'll find out in February if it was enough for me to pass N1!

@husky: It would depend on the workplace. If you were THAT good in your field, I'm sure the people in charge would find somewhere suitable for you. At lower levels, you can find workplaces that use English - for example, my girlfriend is going to start working in a biology lab soon. She looked into it and found one that uses English, although the institute is Japanese. If labs like that didn't exist, she would've had a much harder time.

12.04.2017, 10:28 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that I grasp your meaning, arren...

12.05.2017, 01:53 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL: Yup Trump did it. First fire is ignited, lets see how it ends. Basically China is going to benefit hugely for it

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.07.2017, 01:01 PM.

12.07.2017, 01:00 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You're talking about Jerusalem?

I was fearful the day that man was elected. He is going to be nothing but trouble.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.07.2017, 01:21 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I AGREE 100%...

Calling Kim ridiculous names; supporting a useless economics package that benefits him in the long run; and now this BS, recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Isreal, antagonizing our Arab allies in the area as well as Malaysia and others...

The guys an ASS...

12.07.2017, 06:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

HHL"
The wind outside has died down, finally!!! Hope it stays down long enough for the firemen in Southern California a chance to get a handle of all of the fires going on...

LLLL:
one, the Thomas fire had consumed over 115.000 acres by last night and I don't know if it is just the Thomas fire or a total of all of them, but over 130 homes have gone up and at least 30 horses that the owners hadn't had time to get them away...

I love horses...

12.08.2017, 11:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I went to karaoke, and also an exhibition on buildings and architecture in Ghibli films! The art and models were very nice, but it was a bit too busy. A Saturday evening was probably not the best choice, but it's just when I had the chance.

12.09.2017, 12:05 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

We do what we have to do, when we do it, eh? Know the feeling sometimes.

................. KARAOKE!!!

12.09.2017, 12:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I miss karaoke in Japan

HL: have had a cold for the last few days, but it's finally going away. And the semester's almost over~

My Anime List

12.12.2017, 04:53 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HL: I have a JET interviewwwwwww

12.14.2017, 04:33 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Good for you, NC...

And I hope you're felling better very soon, Kaz

12.14.2017, 04:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ooh, that's great news, NC!! I wish you lots of luck with it!

And thanks, Husky, I'm doing alright now. ^^

HL: classes were cancelled so it's been a lazy day. Tomorrow, Christmas party! Going to have a great Christmassy dinner with friends, can't wait. o3o My flatmates and I baked a chocolate cake today to bring with us.

My Anime List

12.14.2017, 10:50 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I want, lol

HL: I was just invited to Christmas Dinner by my friend and his girlfriend, actually the girlfriend made the invite...

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.15.2017, 02:21 AM.

12.15.2017, 02:20 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

That's good to hear! I'm sure it'll go well.

12.15.2017, 11:15 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  644  645  646  647  648  649  650  651  652  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks