QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions What Movie(s) did you watch today? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
quote:
Originally posted by husky51
stay through the credits, at least until the actor credits start scrolling up

Thanks for the hint. The kid loved the rabbit shooting lazors from his eyes 👍

I do this for ALL movies that I see at the theater for just this reason. I am amazed at what so many people are missing by leaving as soon as the film is over. Sure, sometimes there is nothing worth mentioning, but quite often, I think of it as part of the show...

07.01.2019, 07:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Lucas K
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.28.19
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lucas K Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Unfortunately, I've been a bit busy lately and haven't gotten the chance to contribute to this thread as much as I wanted, but I'm chiming in today with a personal recommendation. Today I rewatched "Searching," which is still one of my absolute favorite movies of last year. It's a thriller/mystery about a guy who is looking for his missing daughter, and it takes place entirely from the perspective of whatever computer he's using throughout the film; the audience sees what happens on each screen. When I first heard about the idea, I didn't think it was going to be much more than a gimmick, but this approach actually helps the film in a lot of ways that I really haven't ever seen with anything else before. The film is absolutely brilliant and definitely worth your time! I finally got my mom to watch it with me today, and I thought you guys should know about it as well, if you haven't seen it already.

Discord: Lucas K#0109

Letterboxd profile

Post last edited by Lucas K on 07.14.2019, 11:15 PM.

07.14.2019, 11:12 PM Lucas K is offline   Profile for Lucas K Add Lucas K to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If I can find it, I eill give it a watch, thank you...

07.15.2019, 01:04 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I remember hearing about that one at some point.

I watched a film last night too, a Japanese film called Linda Linda Linda. It was nice and relaxing, and I liked the characters.

07.15.2019, 08:15 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Saw "Oliver Twist" with Oliver Reed as Bill Sykes... (1968 )

Been awhile since I've seen that movie...

Post last edited by husky51 on 07.18.2019, 03:13 AM.

07.18.2019, 03:13 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched a few films on the plane the other day: Shoplifters, Glass and Into the Spider-verse. The first and last were really good and I'd wanted to see them for some time. I liked Glass well enough, but it was a bit disappointing in some aspects.

07.26.2019, 07:22 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Lucas K
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lucas K Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw "Kiki's Delivery Service" in theaters today for Ghibli Fest! That movie is very special to me, and I can't wax poetic enough about the things it makes me feel. It's just so beautifully tender and heartwarming.

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I watched a few films on the plane the other day: Shoplifters, Glass and Into the Spider-verse. The first and last were really good and I'd wanted to see them for some time. I liked Glass well enough, but it was a bit disappointing in some aspects.

- Heard of "Shoplifters," but haven't seen it. Definitely one I want to check out, East Asian cinema is fantastic.
- I've heard a lot of arguments about "Glass" being underwhelming, and I understand a lot of them well enough. Still, it's my absolute favorite movie of the year so far, despite how much of a contrarian I am for loving it. I just can't wait to go back and revisit the film along with the whole Unbreakable trilogy.
- Spider-Verse is my favorite superhero movie of all time, and it definitely would have been my favorite movie of 2018 if not for "Eighth Grade," which I had a very strong personal connection to.

Great picks!

Letterboxd profile

07.29.2019, 11:37 PM Lucas K is offline   Profile for Lucas K Add Lucas K to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, I want to rewatch the films before Glass as well. I actually hadn't seen Split, and didn't realise it was as closely connected as it is, so I should watch that.

The other day, I watched I Wish, another film by Koreeda (director of Shoplifters among others). I expected it to be good, and it was.

07.30.2019, 07:17 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Lucas K
Susuwatari

I rewatched The End of Evangelion and spent all day writing about my thoughts on it. Seriously, that movie... it took hold of my mind and wouldn't let go. It's beyond words.

https://boxd.it/M6oQJ

Letterboxd profile

08.01.2019, 12:52 AM Lucas K is offline   Profile for Lucas K Add Lucas K to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

While looking for an animated movie to watch this afternoon, I came across a series of Crood cartoons and started watching them, about seven of them under the general title of "Dawn of the Croods"

Corny, but funny...

08.04.2019, 08:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

On the flight back here the other day, I watched The Favourite. I hadn't actually known that much about it other than that it was well-received. I didn't really expect it to be as strange as it was.

08.09.2019, 04:25 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Whisper of the Heart"... going to loan one of my copies to a fan that I met in a store...

08.16.2019, 03:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Mary and the Witches Flower" and followed it with "Mary Poppins 2" and now watching "The Worst Witch"... Not a lot to do today, as you can see, lol...

Edit:

OOPS!!!

Realized that "The Worst Witch " is not a movie, but a serial!!!

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.24.2019, 07:41 PM.

08.24.2019, 06:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Totoro" again last night... I think that I'll look at more of them again in the coming weeks...

08.28.2019, 05:47 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw 11.22.63, and I pretty much hated it, the main character could not do anything right, and just accepted not doing anything as the best course of action. pathetic.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.13.2019, 07:14 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Lucas K
I saw "Kiki's Delivery Service" in theaters today for Ghibli Fest! That movie is very special to me, and I can't wax poetic enough about the things it makes me feel.

Funny, for the first couple of months after I saw it I felt the same way, and even re-watched it few times, but now I feel stone-cold nothing towards it. Like, meh. Did I like it, really? Was it me? I guess not, that person is gone. Instead, I here am very similar to that person, but not him. Not in the part that loved Kiki.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.13.2019, 07:18 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Just finished reading the English translation of "Kiki's Delivery Service" written by Eiko Kadono... Very different from the Ghibli movie, but similar in a number of ways...

I enjoyed it and last night while visiting some of my granddaughters and grandson, I left the book with them to read...

09.13.2019, 02:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Lucas K
Susuwatari

Today's watch: "All the President's Men," starring Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman. I found the details of the plot somewhat hard to follow, but it's such an incredibly well-made movie that I was still captivated until the end. I understand why it's one of the most beloved classic political thrillers of all time.

Also, I rewatched and reviewed "When Marnie Was There" recently, and it held up a lot better than I expected it to! I'd say it's one of Ghibli's more underappreciated gems.

quote:
Originally posted by makc
Funny, for the first couple of months after I saw it I felt the same way, and even re-watched it few times, but now I feel stone-cold nothing towards it. Like, meh. Did I like it, really? Was it me? I guess not, that person is gone. Instead, I here am very similar to that person, but not him. Not in the part that loved Kiki.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say my past perceptions of movies I've seen are even more unreliable and subject to change. In fact, it's to be expected, since the greatest works of art are the ones that you can always find new ways to look at the more you learn about them as well as yourself. Also, if a film doesn't personally interest you as much as you feel it should, it's only natural that rewatching it wouldn't do anything for you. Ultimately, people's views will always change over time, and there's nothing wrong with that. But for what it's worth, my review of Kiki is right here, if you want to understand why I still love the film.

Letterboxd profile

09.17.2019, 01:20 AM Lucas K is offline   Profile for Lucas K Add Lucas K to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I also liked When Marnie Was There. I should rewatch it some time though, as I haven't seen it since it was out in cinemas. You might find that the generally underrated ones are often pretty popular on here, by the way.

09.19.2019, 05:05 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
makc
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Lucas K
Also, I rewatched and reviewed "When Marnie Was There" recently, and it held up a lot better than I expected it to!

Not a ghibli thing but, if I ever get a couple of days worth of time, I am going to rewatch steins gate season 1 -> american trip ova -> the movie. I expect it to be as good as the first time. But not going to rewatch second season, ever.

09.19.2019, 07:10 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  «    ...  98  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks