QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  ...    »  ]
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My girlfriend and I are going to see the new Little Women tonight, will update tomorrow!

EDIT: It was excellent! Greta Gerwig and Saoirse Ronan always do great things together, but the production and the performances were also in top form. I thought the structuring of events was a little strange, but otherwise, I'd highly recommend it.

Post last edited by FlareNetworkC on 01.04.2020, 12:11 PM.

01.03.2020, 12:33 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally saw Ocean Waves for the first time a couple of days ago. I liked it a lot; artistically it was as beautiful as I'd expect from Ghibli, and the characters were interesting. Interesting to hear the Kochi accent, I was wondering what it was from the beginning.

I found the characters difficult to understand at times, Rikako especially. Things they said and did didn't seem to make sense. Maybe down to the source material being abridged, maybe I just need to watch it again.

My Anime List

02.18.2020, 06:24 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have seen it a number of times. like WotH, and I always get teary eyed at the same place towards the end of the movie...

As I've said before, my kids used to say that I had 'soggy eye-balls', lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.11.2020, 03:44 PM.

02.18.2020, 09:30 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
I finally saw Ocean Waves for the first time a couple of days ago. I liked it a lot; artistically it was as beautiful as I'd expect from Ghibli, and the characters were interesting. Interesting to hear the Kochi accent, I was wondering what it was from the beginning.

I found the characters difficult to understand at times, Rikako especially. Things they said and did didn't seem to make sense. Maybe down to the source material being abridged, maybe I just need to watch it again.

Me and Arren talked about it in discord. To me it makes a lot of sense now, rather than when i saw it first. I guess the point to be taken is quite simple that we miss the simple life and friends with whom we spent a lot of time with. There are decisions that we are proud of and decisions which was not that great. To put it simply its about nostalgia. The characters and the story are just a way to convey that feeling.

there is a pretty good analysis on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYXBWucnot8

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 02.21.2020, 05:23 AM.

02.21.2020, 05:23 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012

I agree with your liking of the assessment shown... I think what helped me enjoy it from the first time that I saw it was the fact that I was in my 68's when I did see it for the first time...

02.21.2020, 05:49 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "Hacksaw Ridge" last night. A story about Desmond Doss, a WWII 'conscientious objector' who when drafted into the US Army, believed that the War was just but that 'killing' was not and refused to carry a weapon... During the invasion of Okinawa, as an unarmed Army medic, he pretty much single-handily saved the lives of over 70 wounded soldiers despite being wounded himself. He was the first conscientious objector to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor...

I was just 'flipping channels' when I saw the scene where he is in basic training and refusing orders to pick up a rifle... Out of curiousity I continued watching the movie...

02.24.2020, 02:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just watched The Notebook. I love it so much, I have watched it more than 5 times, lol!

03.09.2020, 01:52 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
poncholumps
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.23.20
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by poncholumps Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well actually not today but the other day, I watched 1917

03.23.2020, 04:21 AM poncholumps is offline   Profile for poncholumps Add poncholumps to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@ rompglide and poncholumps,

What did you think of the movies that you saw?

03.23.2020, 06:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched the Water for Elephants, I kind of went in thinking it will be boring, but it turned out well-balanced story of circus, murder and love. And elephants. But there was just one. I feel like Husky might like it, because of the main character.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

03.23.2020, 09:14 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't even know what it was about until yesterday, but last night I watched Knives Out. If you like mysteries - or probably even if you usually don't - I'd recommend it.

05.03.2020, 09:55 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw a few more films in the past week. I watched the latest Star Wars, and the first two Mad Max films. They were all good to varying degrees. Some of the choices made in Star Wars did irritate me a bit though.

05.11.2020, 04:27 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by makc
Watched the Water for Elephants, I kind of went in thinking it will be boring, but it turned out well-balanced story of circus, murder and love. And elephants. But there was just one. I feel like Husky might like it, because of the main character.

Hahahaha, Am I picking up an elephantine jibe here? LOL

Other than the Elephant, I'm too purty to be Marlena, too mean to be August, so you must(another elephantine connection) be referring and/or comparing me to Jacob (the name of one of my Grandson's, lol)

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.11.2020, 03:40 PM.

05.11.2020, 03:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012

I agree with your liking of the assessment shown... I think what helped me enjoy it from the first time that I saw it was the fact that I was in my 68's when I did see it for the first time...

HAHAHA, quoting myself... Went through this "Second Chance of Ocean Waves" again, just now, and I followed the series of videos that followed it... Quite interesting I thought as I realized that I had just spent over an hour of watching the different video's... Gave me some interesting ideas for the re-watching of my Ghibli's (definitely "Ocean Waves" first) and many other movies that I have, such as 'Tokyo Godfathers' and 'Millenium Actress' to name just two...

05.11.2020, 06:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I was flipping thru the Netflix TV listings and saw this title, "In This Corner of the World"... Watched it all today and it had its high moments, but was tragic overall. Animation very well done IMO, but a sad story... Location was mainly in Kure and Hiroshima, Japan from about 1939 on until the ending of the war and some families lives during this time...
Directed by Sunao Katabuchi...

05.13.2020, 04:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

In This Corner of the World is something I meant to watch a while back and kind of missed the chance. I'll get around to it some time, I'm sure.

The other day I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople. This was another one I didn't really know anything about beforehand apart from the name and the creators, but it was definitely worth watching!

05.17.2020, 09:39 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched "My life as A Zucchini". A nice little tale about a kid in a foster home, with others his same age that lost or were removed from their parents. A nice little story...

It was a rough (IMO) stop-action that was an 'Oscar' nominee... As I found out afterwards from IMDb...

05.29.2020, 10:53 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Dad and I rewatched Porco Rosso yesterday. It's one of his favourites.

Watched it in Japanese for the first time and, dare I say it, I think I actually prefer the dub. They did a really good job with it.

According to an article I read recently, Miyazaki's favourite version is the French dub. Maybe we'll try that next time.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 05.30.2020, 08:52 PM.

05.30.2020, 08:52 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Parle vous, France? Oui!!!

Paerle Vous, France
Chevrolet Coupe
Buick Sedan

My Canadian mother taught me these when I was a chld... later learned to count to ten, but forgot most of it now...

Au Revoir (?) lol

05.31.2020, 02:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I got to see Akira at the cinema last night! It's not the first time I've watched it on the big screen, but it really makes a difference.

Also, from next week they're going to be showing a few Ghibli films. I'm not sure how long it'll go on for, but I hope I can see one or two at least.

06.24.2020, 08:09 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks