QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I also liked When Marnie Was There. I should rewatch it some time though, as I haven't seen it since it was out in cinemas. You might find that the generally underrated ones are often pretty popular on here, by the way.

I read the book first and then the movie and enjoyed both of them...

Had a free movie ticket from my loc al theater because of my birtrhday this month. I went to see "Good Boy's" because the previews made it seem like a funny movie...

Big mistake in my opinion... I saw about 15 minutes of the movie and then left. I told the cashier that it was the most asinine movie that I have ever seen,,, She gave me my free pass back, which was nice of her...

The little bit that I saw of the movie, little boys about 12 and in 6th grade probably said the 'f' word 20 times if not more... and that is not including the other crap...

I do not recomment this movie to anyone...

09.19.2019, 11:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Lucas K
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.28.19
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lucas K Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
Not a ghibli thing but, if I ever get a couple of days worth of time, I am going to rewatch steins gate season 1 -> american trip ova -> the movie. I expect it to be as good as the first time. But not going to rewatch second season, ever.

I don't know much about that series, but damn, I forgot it's the #2 top rated anime on MAL. I'm a lot more familiar with movies than shows, but it looks like this one might click with me. I'll probably start watching it instead of Serial Experiments Lain, since I started it not too long ago and the story isn't really grabbing my attention.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm seeing the Downton Abbey movie today. Once my mother got me hooked on the show, the movie became quite an anticipated release for me, so I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Discord: Lucas K#0109

Letterboxd profile

09.20.2019, 02:23 PM Lucas K is offline   Profile for Lucas K Add Lucas K to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

psa: at 1st, okabe (steins gate main character) was so creepy and annoying that I almost gave up... but did not, and if you do not give up, it really pays back (and yes, there is a reason why he is like that)

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.20.2019, 03:17 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was scanning thru the listings on Netflix and saw a title, "The Karate
Kid" with Jackie Chan and Jared Smith (Will and Jada Smith's son) and it seems to be filmed mostly in Beijing, China...

Not a top-ranking martial arts film, but it was pretty good...

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.26.2019, 12:16 AM.

10.24.2019, 12:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw the new Maleficent film, Mistress of Evil. It was alright, a bit messy, story-wise. My favourite thing was the character designs of the dark fae. And Angelina Jolie being stunning as always, she's great in that character. The prince had as much personality as a bit of wet cardboard. The ending was kind of ludicrous.

My Anime List

10.24.2019, 04:52 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Beetlejuice yesterday. I'd never watched it before, but it was a good choice for Halloween.

11.01.2019, 10:21 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Hahahaha, definitely a Halloween choice

I've had the pleasure of watching the movie 3 or 4 times since its release...

11.01.2019, 01:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw a Christmas film just released on Netflix called Klaus.

The plot was extremely predictable and cliché, but overall it was quite enjoyable.

My Anime List

11.16.2019, 10:07 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Finished the second season of "March Comes in Like a Lion" and that is apparently all of it.. One relationship is a bit confusing at the end, but there has been a LOT of emotional aspects throughout the series... For me, I'd give it an 8 out of 10...

Also watched "Garden of Words"... Great artistry fir the most part, IMO.
Also a lot of emotional contact and a good ending... 9 out of 10...

11.17.2019, 11:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I had skipped over it a couple of times, but based on your comment, Kaz, I warched 'Klaus' and I must agree, it was different. Clearly a new take on the typical Snata Claus/Christmas tale and enjoyable...

11.18.2019, 04:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Watched a remake of "Watership Down"... Seen the animated version a few times and read the novel twice...
I enjoyed this one as well...

12.16.2019, 06:54 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I rewatched When Marnie Was There last night. I'd actually forgotten more than I realised, so it was good to see it again.

12.17.2019, 10:28 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I have a copy of the book 'Marnie' and enjoyed it very much... As well as the movie.

12.17.2019, 03:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Is the book very different?

12.17.2019, 05:19 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Like most novel/movie comparisons The movie is based on the novel, but the novel is more indepth and gives more to the story than the movie... It has been quite awhile since I have seen the movie and read the book, I know that what I have said above is true, but I will read and watch both again and get back to you, soonest...

12.18.2019, 09:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

OK, as I said, the movie version of a novel generally always takes 'shortcuts' in portraying the story that is based on the novel and such is the case with "Tell them Marnie was There"...

The novel deals with an young English girl who seems to have a problem dealing with other people. I don't want to give away the story in the novel, but yes, there are many similarities, but also much of the story, particularly towards the end, is quite different from the movie.

That being said, I watched the movie this weekend and immediately read the novel... I spent two evenings reading and thoroughly enjoyed both versions. I wish that I could say more about it, arren, but I don't see how w/o giving away much of the story in the novel... I noticed a number of English colloquialisms like 'bathe', referring to going in the water at the beach or pool unlike bathing in a hot spring pool in Japan, or the character 'Anna' mentions 'paddling' along the shore, which I took to mean 'wading' along the shore and not swimming nor rowing a boat...

I highly recommend reading the book...

12.22.2019, 10:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I did imagine it might differ quite a bit. Maybe I'll read it one day.

I was on a long flight the other day, so of course I watched a few films. I saw Pulp Fiction, The Breakfast Club and Toy Story 4. A bit of an odd mixture, but they were all ones I'd never got round to watching, so it was good to get the chance.

12.24.2019, 05:32 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw the new Star Wars movie and actually really enjoyed it, mostly due to the actors more than anything. I've spent a lot of time criticizing it with my sister for several reasons though. haha

I do wish there was more awareness put out there for those who are epileptic to be cautious when watching this movie. I didn't see any warnings. I say this because when I came out of a bathroom stall after the movie a young girl fell on me and had a seizure. I'm not sure if she saw the movie but given the timing it seems likely. It was terrifying for me because I was in a bathroom, surrounded by only children who were all staring at me to do something. I ran out and yelled for my friends to get help and the staff got me to come to the bathroom with them to identify the girl (she had gotten up but was very out of it).

12.24.2019, 06:21 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I haven't seen the movie myself, so I don't know what may have caused the seizure, if that was the reason for it. I have been around a number of people who have had seizures and found that the best that I could do was to place myself (or something) between them and any hard objects that they might slam into during the seizure... An arm, a leg, a cushion, anything...

I remember when in my 20's that you were supposed to put something in their mouth to prevent them from swallowing their tongue or biting it... but I think that changed long ago... I am going to look up the current first-aid procedures for treating an Epilectic seizure...

I'm glad that you were able to get some help for her, FFF...

============================================

As for the Christmas movie I watched last night, I Was skipping the channels and settled on "Die Hard with a Vengence" with Bruce Willis... Made me feel all warm and cozy, lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 12.25.2019, 03:03 PM.

12.25.2019, 02:59 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I saw the new "Jumanji..." movie today and, having see the first, I kinda knew what to expect and it lessened it a bit for me, but overall it was good and we in the audience got a lot of laughs... If you saw and enjoyed the first two, I think that you'd like this one...

01.02.2020, 04:20 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  99  100  101  102  103  104  105  106  107  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks