QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  122  123  124  125  126  127  128  129  130  ...    »  ]
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good to see you, jusomekid, it's been a while. Glad you're taking all the precautions you can to stay safe.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 04.04.2020, 08:41 PM.

04.04.2020, 08:40 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Alive but school starts back up this week. Haha.. ha

04.04.2020, 11:31 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Glad to see you both, jusomekid and FFF, are doing well... Hang in there...

04.05.2020, 03:55 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So I learnt last night that my dad has caught it... Of course I'm very worried, but today my mum told me that at the hospital they think he's doing pretty well. I really hope it's going to be okay.

04.05.2020, 08:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Our thoughts are with you and your family, arren... Be safe... Tell your dad, if your are able, that we Taverner's from around the world are think of him... I know that I speak for all of us...

04.05.2020, 08:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm afraid I have to update this story with some bad news. Although things seemed pretty positive early on, a few days ago he took a turn for the worse and was no longer likely to recover. Then last night, my brother told me he had just passed away.

Everyone, please look after yourselves and those around you.

04.12.2020, 11:37 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

My heart-felt condolences to you and your Family, arren... I know what it is like to lose a parent... But know that, as I said before, all of us here in the Tavern are with you...

04.13.2020, 04:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm so sorry, arren. I wish we could have beaten this awful thing sooner, it's causing so much pain around the world. My best wishes to you and your family. As Husky said, we're with you.

My Anime List

04.13.2020, 07:34 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So sorry Arren to hear that. Condolence to you and your family.

one of my cousins also passed away two days ago in US. she, her husband and her father in law contacted it. She and her father in law passed away unfortunately.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

04.13.2020, 07:59 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

I appreciate the kind messages. And saviour, I'm sorry to hear your family has been affected too.

04.13.2020, 10:07 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

My condolences to you and yours, saviour, on the losses in your family as well...

04.13.2020, 02:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm so sorry to hear that, saviour. Condolences from all of us here.

My Anime List

04.13.2020, 05:27 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm here. Still playing with toy soldiers.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.09.2020, 05:10 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Good to see you again, Saddles...

05.09.2020, 11:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From a practicing Lawyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YznQlklL42U

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 06.01.2020, 06:50 AM.

06.01.2020, 06:50 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
From a practicing Lawyer

Hi, saviour, I trust that things are going well for you...

I listened to the ramble by this guy with the fancy hat and even going to the 'youtube' site, I could find no reference to this guy being a lawyer, no name, nothing... Many of his comments were just that, him rambling on and on, mentioning things that others have discussed, over and over again, ad naseum, IMO.

A lot has been made of the words used by George Floyd, "I can't breathe". Yes, this, in this instance, was a valid complaint, BUT, I have heard these same words even in my duties as a Security Officer in my 45 years of work, both full and but mostly part-time,

I will give one personal instance. A man had created a disturbance at the motel where I was working. He almost came to blows with the woman at the front desk and when he went back to his room, he started by breaking out the windows. I was at the room mere seconds before the police arrived and they heard the man threatening me. They helped me restrain the man and he was taken to jail. About an hour later, his girlfriend showed up demanding to know where her BF was (both were in their 30's, btw, not sure of race, as I didn't usually think about that when having to deal with a problem person). The woman was creating a further disturbance at the front desk, demanding to know where her BF was, etc.

I got there and she wouldn't stop yelling nor would she leave. I put her facing toward the counter and proceeded to handcuff her and took her down a hallway towards the office behind the front desk. However, I kept her visible to the front public reception area where we were both plainly visible to anyone. I asked her to sit down and when she refused, I held her shoulders, did a foot sweep, and lowered her to the floor. She started screaming about me 'touching' her inappropriately, (I hadn't), then that her father was the chief of police, (he wasn't) and then that she "couldn't breathe". And started asking for her medicine. I asked where it was and she said, "in my purse". She had a small clutch-type purse and I looked inside for any medicine and there was none, only a medical insurance card.

During all this time, she is talking and yelling at me and obviously getting plenty of air to breathe and talk with. Once I told her that there was no medicine in her purse, she quieted down and just muttered threats until the police arrived and took her into custody.

I have seen this attempt of a person trying to get their restraints loosened or removed in attempts to try and get away., a number of times, both personally and on the news programs. I would tend to ignore such complaints unless I saw obvious signs of breathing distress. I might add here, that I am 'first aid' and 'first responder' trained and have been so for decades...

All this being said, from the scenes shown so far, George Floyd was not obviously resisting arrest, he was lying on the street in handcuffs and the cop was on his neck for over 8 minutes and I saw no reason for that, Other cops were just standing around relaxed, so no reason for the neck restraint that I could see. I don't like to second-guess people for their actions, because to me, I wasn't there for the whole thing, but in this case, I feel that I saw enough to disagree with the cop's actions...

This got rather wordy, and I apologize for that, but having listened to this guy (in the video) talking, it seemed to me that he was just rambling on things that I have heard many times before and I lost contact with him, so to speak.

All this being said, I totally agree with the Floyd treatment protesters, the cops are trained for this and there was no apparent reason for what happened. Now the thing is to find out WHY it happened and burning and looting only makes things worse, IMHO.

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.01.2020, 10:42 AM.

06.01.2020, 10:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thing is, though, these protests aren't about George Floyd, not really. His death was simply the latest in a long, long string of unlawful killings of POC by police. This incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Remember how the establishment reacted when Colin Kaepernick was making his peaceful protests about this issue. He was roundly ridiculed and called a traitor. Now they have the gall to act surprised at what's happening now. People have been demonstrating peacefully for decades and nothing seems to have changed. The killings go on and on. And the videos that have been emerging from the protests have been shocking. People being deliberately run over by police cars. Journalists being shot at. People being beaten and thrown to the ground without provocation. There's something really rotten in the police force and I don't know what it's going to take to put it right.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 06.01.2020, 10:54 AM.

06.01.2020, 10:52 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Thing is, though, these protests aren't about George Floyd, not really. His death was simply the latest in a long, long string of unlawful killings of POC by police. This incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Remember how the establishment reacted when Colin Kaepernick was making his peaceful protests about this issue. He was roundly ridiculed and called a traitor. Now they have the gall to act surprised at what's happening now. People have been demonstrating peacefully for decades and nothing seems to have changed. The killings go on and on. And the videos that have been emerging from the protests have been shocking. People being deliberately run over by police cars. Journalists being shot at. People being beaten and thrown to the ground without provocation. There's something really rotten in the police force and I don't know what it's going to take to put it right.

You are absolutely correct. As a person living in developing coutry with a fascist govt. like many other Asian nations, when I see this it is extremely obvious what is happening right now. If people don't get angry and don't dispose this system now things going to turn downhill from here. Nothing is safe your freedom, voting rights. As a matter of fact we lost our voting rights as we didn't get angry. When you mix Police and Politics the output is nothing but tyranny and chaos. I think there is still time to fix it. To me freedom is greater than wealth.

06.01.2020, 03:46 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

All I can say in response to both Kaz and saviour is that not ALL police depts are guilty on these violations of human rights... Like terrorism, you hear about the singular events of human rights violations... I worked with the Calif Hwy Patrol in an enforcement capacity dealing with vehicular safety with trucks and buses and transporting of Hazardous materials. Better than 90% of the officers that I worked with were wonderful men and women and took their jobs seriously, Were and are there bad apples in the CHP? Yes, there were and are, but the Dept is working on removing these people from their ranks as soon as they become aware of them.. It doesn't help when we have a President who is threatening to meet these looters and arsonists, etc with gunfire which is stupidity in my opinion... Hopefully, he won't be the President after the November election... I say this, even knowing that both of my sons and a number of my friends are trump supporters...

All I am going to say to everyone is to be safe and take care of yourselves... I have family representing most races and religions and love them all...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.01.2020, 09:51 PM.

06.01.2020, 09:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Husky I totally agree with you. But the culprit is the system. It makes me very angry when I saw other police officers not to do anything. Why? Because either they are in it or they are afraid of retaliation. And those other three officers were not arrested as well. And that has happened in lots and lots of cases where things are not as violent or deadly. To me even the race thing doesn't matter at all. America is hundred time or thousand times better when it comes to racial things than even hundred years ago. But Police is completely different, more and more they are becoming thugs which is great for politicians as they can use the Police. Like they do in my country. Police alone can turn a democracy into a dictatorship. It took only 8 years in my country. It is extremely sad.

06.02.2020, 01:20 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  «    ...  122  123  124  125  126  127  128  129  130  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks